Chapter Twenty-Seven

The most nerve wrecking moment in my life is before I ask Zack to meet me for dinner tonight. I mean there is only so much he could say. Like a regular no. Or he might curse me out and stomp on my heart and then set it on fire. Stephanie, her overly-helpful self, wanted me to ask on my own so Zack wouldn't think it was just for my look as future prom queen, which it was. Stephanie also informed me that if I keep my thoughts optimistic, it could help me win. This morning I woke up a little early and made Zack a invite like the ones for my party. I got dressed and fed Bailey and gave him a treat. I kissed his ear and walked out the door.

"Hey Cupcake!". Canon called.

"Is that my nickname now?". I chuckled.

"For now, until I find one that sticks". He shrugged as we got on the elevator.

"So who's that for?". He pointed to the champagne glass filled with M&M's and a cupcake, vanilla, which was Zack's favorite.

"Trying to rebuild a burnt bridge". I explained briefly before stepping off the elevator.

I expected Canon to step off but he didn't.

"Aren't you coming?". I frowned.

"No, school's out for today. I heard you leaving so I wanted to walk you down". He smiled nervously.

"Aww. Thanks". I blushed.

He blew me a kiss causing me to flush red. I smiled sweetly and went to my car. I sat Zack's gift in the cup holder and drove to school. I sat in the parking lot for about ten minutes before giving myself enough courage to get out. I walked into school and over to Zack's locker where he stood talking to his friend. Why?! Are these two attached at the hip or something?! Talk about clingy!

She noticed me before he did, because her smile faded causing him to turn to me.

"Can I help you". Zack folded his arms.

"I wanted to give you this". I handed him the invite.

"What is this for?". He frowned.

"I want to invite you to dinner tonight at Monae's". I shifted nervously.

"Why Monae's?". He narrowed his eyes at me knowing it was our place to go.

"Because it's our place". I began playing with my fingers.

"I don't know. I'll think about it". He sighed.

This almost shattered me. But at least it wasn't a no.

"Ok, I can respect". I nodded as the bell rang. I turned to my locker and got my books. God please don't let him stand me up.
-----------------------------------------------------------
After school. I went straight home to avoid seeing Zack again. I got home and Canon was coming out of his apartment.

"Hey can we talk?". He looked conflicted.

"Um-of course come in". I nodded.

I unlocked the door and greeted Bailey.

"Take a seat on the couch let me feed Bailey". I instructed him.

I poured food and water in his bowls and he began eating. I sat down on the couch next to Canon.

"So what is it that's bothering you Mr. Canon". I smiled.

"Well-I think my feelings for you have grown tremendously". He scratched the back of his neck.

"What do you mean?". I frowned.

"I want to be more than friends". He sighed.

"Well-um-I-don't-k-know how to-respond. Could I ask why?". I stuttered.

"For starters, friends can't tell each other that they look beautiful with every freckle and every orange curl and every awkward moment". He looked into my eyes.

I looked down at my hands.

"And friends can't do this". He whispered pulling me onto his lap so that I was facing him.

"And friends can't be this close". He lifted my head with his index finger and thumb and pulled me closer.

"And friends can't do this". He inched closer to me pressing his lips against mine. I was in shock at first but then I kissed back.

Before we could continue Stephanie barged in. I looked up and she stood there with her mouth wide open.

"Oops! Didn't know I was interrupting something. Hey Canon! I always knew you guys liked each other". She smiled.

I got off Canon and he stood up.

"We can continue this later". He looked to me.

"Of course". I pulled on my shirt and tried to catch my breath.

He smiled to Stephanie and walked out the door.

I just stood there like an idiot running my hand over my lips.

"First kiss huh?". Stephanie smirked.

"Yea". I whispered.

"How does it feel?". She beamed.

"Like a million tiny ballet dancers dancing on my lips and on my insides". I answered still baffled on what just happened.

"Sounds like love". She giggled.

I rolled my eyes. But seriously what did this mean for Canon and I?