Chapter Thirteen

Grandma wanted to spend time with me today. She took me shopping. We were in a prom prep store which she dragged me in.

"Why aren't you looking around dear, prom was the happiest night of my life besides my wedding night". She smiled happily.

"I'm not sure I'm going to prom". I shrugged.

"You won't know until the time comes". She sighed picking up a dress.

"How come the nursing home isn't looking for you?". I frowned sincerely curious about if we should be worried about lawyers or anything coming after us.

"Well to tell you the truth, they probably think I'm dead. Which is an every day thing around there. And if they serve us, I believe your Mom can help me and Zack out. She is a smart woman if I do say so myself". She smiled as we moved on to the next store.

"Yeah. I kinda look up to her for it. I used to look up to my Dad but stuff happens you know?". I cringed just thinking of my Dad.

"Well, yes. I do. I used to respect my family until they sent me to that bad place. It wasn't hurting me physically, but just watching the people you grow close to die? I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy". She got teary eyed.

"My Father ran off with an Italian woman, went back to Italy sending my Mom divorce papers in the mail. Any respect I had for him...gone". I explained.

"Hm. Is that who was in that car yesterday?". She peered at me.

"Yeah. He wants my Mom back". I sighed.

"Well, you should give him a chance. If she takes him back which I highly doubt, but if she does you need to respect him, even if it's fake. Your Father has made a mistake, like we all will or have, and I'm not going to tell you to move on because you can't just wake up and be over it. But you have to respect him as a person". She explained.

"And why is that Grandma?". I whispered on the verge of tears.

"Because when you don't  have respect, it'll be to late when you get it back". She wiped away a stray tear on my face.

"Is that what happened between you and Liz?". I choked.

"Yes. I didn't approve of her and John's relationship. I knew what was going on. And I lost my respect for her. I stopped loving her because of that. And before I knew it, she was dead. And there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about her". Grandma cried.

We shared a moment in that store. Right then, I  knew at some point I'd have to forgive my Father. But that didn't mean I'd do it today.
-----------------------------------------------------------
We had returned home from the mall. Grandma bought some tops and I brought some outfits for school. Mom was in the kitchen reading something.

"What's that?". I asked sitting my bags on top of the island.

"A subpoena. The Sanders family is taking us to trial for Zack's custody and suing for removing Grandma from the nursing home". She sighed.

My jaw dropped.

What the heck is wrong with these people.

"Don't worry, my family may be greedy but their as dumb as nails". Grandma piped up.

This made Mom laugh.

"Well they've gotten one of my colleagues as their lawyer, he's one of the best in the buisness". Mom started dinner.

"How can they afford anyone from your firm?". I scrunched my nose up in disgust.

"Maybe saved some money from Grandma's house?". Mom shrugged.

"All I know is this lawyer isn't going down without a fight. He brings up any and everything. Iris, honey, you'll be on the testimony list, because your friends with Zack. And of course I'll have to testify as well. So I won't be able to defend us. But I'm going to find one of my most trusted colleagues to help us out here". Mom reassured me.

This was just great! Not only was I gonna have to testify in front of people I didn't know, but anything I said, Mom said, Zack said, or Grandma said could make us lose the both of them.

"I'm gonna uh-go take a nap". I sighed starting to feel light headed.

I staggered up the stairs, making it to the top. I slowly slid down the wall. Feeling my eyes close. The last thing I remember is Zack yelling for Mom.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I woke up to beeping. My eyes stung from the bright lights in this room. When my eyes finally adjust, the room is blurry. I try to move my hands but they are both being held.

"Hello?". I call out.

"Honey? Are you ok?". Mom piped in.

My glasses are slid on to my face and I can see.

I'm in the hospital.

"W-what happened?". I look around to see Zack and Grandma.

"Um-you passed out". Mom explained.

"Why? How? Did the doctor's say what's going on?". I frowned.

"Yes. Your stress levels were seriously high. They want to bring a psychiatrist in so you can talk out your problems.

"My problems?". I scrunched up my nose.

Of course I had problems. Who didn't? But why would they cause me to pass out.

"Did the doctor explain why I passed out?". I sighed.

"Yes. He said your brain was, trying to deal with all these situations at once. Causing it to go into overdrive. And for it then to shut your body down to, try and work harder to find solutions to whatever problems your having". She explained.

What the heck?