Chapter 3: The Crack in the Wall

You felt so dizzy as you slid back into reality. The pain coming moments after waking. Your head throbbed like a titan had smashed your skull in and then left you for dead. You groaned and slowly opened your blurry (e/c) eyes. It was dark and at first you panicked, thinking you had lost your eyesight. Your fingers flew up to them, relief washing through you as you saw the shadowy outline of your hands.

Your head tilted up to the sky and blinked as you saw the little bright lights of stars above you. Confused as to why you were sleeping outside, you swiveled your head about in the darkness, the dark lump of your friend still splayed out against the rocks. Then the memories flooded back.

Finch was eaten, Wren was crushed, Lark...Lark was as good as dead now, and Anthony and Raven were nowhere to be found.

A hollow sensation filled the cavity of your chest and you bit your lip trying to keep your tears from falling. Your watery eyes settled on Thomas who was still passed out, but alive.

His light breathing gave you some comfort in the darkness, oddly happy you weren't alone. You pushed back a stray strand of (h/c) and hissed in pain when your fingertips brushed against a stinging cut. You squinted hard at your hand, unsure if there was blood. Probably, considering you had dove headfirst into the grey rocks.

You grimaced and shifted your body, your foot catching on something as you tried moving. Annoyed, you yanked it with force and you yelped as the object flew towards you. It landed against your shoulder with a small thunk. Your eyebrows knitted together as you examined the object, not recognizing the tan leather bag.

Puzzled, you gripped it and let out a soft 'oh' as your mind recalled that this was the thing Lark had given you before you ran. A fresh wave of sadness washed over you when you thought of opening the bag. Lark's bag. You gnawed on your bottom lip and refused to open it, deciding to slip it inside your cloak pocket.

You froze, smelling the juniper and tree sap scent. You still wore his cloak. This time you felt the tears fall, too tired to stop your emotions from showing. A sob wracked through you as you clutched his cloak tightly. You could feel the salty water drip down your chin and land on your clothing, grief's cold fingers tearing a hole in your hear as your retained emotions flooded through you. You cried for Lark, you cried for Finch and Wren, and you cried for your sealed fate. You and Thomas were going to die out here, you couldn't make it to the walls. They were so far away and even if you could, the titans would get you first.

"(F/n)"

At first you didn't hear his shaky voice, too occupied with sobbing your lungs out.

"Oh, (F/n)." Thomas whispered, his arms wrapping around your shaking body and pulling you into his chest.

You didn't know how long you sat there, only ceasing your tears when there were no more left to shed.

You took deep shaky breaths and took notice of how tightly Thomas held you, his right hand brushing the side of your head soothingly while the other hugged you tight.

"T-Thomas," you said, your voice cracking and hoarse. "We're alone."

Glancing up to his face, you felt a drop of water splash on your forehead. The boy was crying as well, his eyes squeezed shut while his bottom lip trembled.

"I-I d-don't want do d-die." Thomas cried, burying his head in your hair as more tears flooded his puffy red eyes.

"We won't," you breathed.

You promised yourself you would see the day Thomas would survive, even if it meant sacrificing yourself in the process. He deserved to live.

"I promise."