Chapter 4

This time, I didn't cry. I wanted to, but I didn't. Instead I kept walking, hoping that if I looked like I was going somewhere, nobody would ask about my parents. I don't know what I was looking for. Maybe somewhere that looked safe to go inside? I walked until I found a place called 'DOA Recording studios'. There was a sign that I couldn't read, I had already used all my reading-energy up by trying to figure out the name of the place. DOA Recording studios did not look very welcoming, but I was really tired, so I walked in.

The first thing I noticed was the bad music. The second thing I noticed was that everybody in here was semi-transparent. There was a man wearing a fancy suit. He looked like he was in charge, so I walked up to him.

He looked down at me and said,

"How did you die?"  I was really confused. What did he mean die? Did he mean like death die? I blinked and continued staring at him.

"Are you going to answer me kid? We haven't got all day." I stumbled back. It occurred to me that everyone in here was transparent. Were they all dead?

"I..uh..well..I" I couldn't complete a sentence. I was tripping over my own words. What was I supposed to say? If I told him I wasn't dead, what would he do? I had a feeling that it wouldn't be good.

He leaned forward. I could feel his sour breath on my face. He whispered,

"You are not dead, are you?" Before I could control myself, I shook my head.

"I should have known.." He grumbled. He leaned back and pressed a button. Then he looked back at me and said,

"I just called Lord Hades. What'cha gonna do kid? Run? I would like to see you try! Have fun in the fields of punishment, boy!"   I was paralyzed with fear. Lord Hades? That name seemed familiar, and not in a friendly way.

The ground around me started shaking. A crack appeared in the floor. From the crack emerged a man dressed in black. His outfit shimmered, almost like something was trying to escape from it. I used context clue and figured out who this man was. He must be Hades. He looked around the room. His eyes landed on the man who asked me how I died. He scowled,

"Charon, why have you called me here? I told you I was busy." Charon just smirked and pointed at me. Hades turned and his scowl faded. Now, he looked curious. He kneeled down so he could be eye level with me and said, surprisingly gently,

"Hi, I am Hades. Are you dead?" He asked the question like one would when asking the weather. Somehow, even though Hades was probably more powerful than Charon, I felt safer talking to him. Maybe it was because his breath didn't stink as bad. I slowly shook my head. Hades sighed and asked another question,

"Why are you here?" I thought about it for a second.

"I was tired, and I had nowhere else to go." Hades nodded. He seemed to be sympathetic.

"Do you by any chance know who your father is?" He seemed as if he already knew and was just waiting for me to confirm his thoughts. I opened my to answer when I realized I didn't know my daddy's name.

"Well, he smells like the ocean and he can breathe underwater. He never told me his name, but he said that he was my daddy. I believe him." Hades smirked. Then he frowned. He looked me in the eyes and said,

"Did he take you to an underwater palace?" I nodded.

"Why did you leave?" I frowned. I didn't like where this conversation was going. I had never enjoyed answering personal questions, but I answered anyways.

"My daddy said I was a mistake." Hades stood up. He looked down at me and said,

"Your dad happens to be my brother. The nicer brother too. You father didn't try to kill my children, so I will not kill you." I was shocked. I kept running into family member I didn't know I had! And Hades wouldn't kill me! That seemed like a good deal! I wanted to make sure he didn't change his mind and smite me, so I bowed.

"Thank you uncle. I am thankful that you will let me live." When I stood up, Hades had a confused expression on his face. After a moment, he voiced his thoughts,

"Why did you bow? I'm not complaining, but most kids don't know that bowing is polite."

"Well, earlier today, I met a guy who almost smited me when I didn't bow to him. Even Though you said that you wouldn't kill me, I wanted to stay safe. So I bowed!" Hades laughed out loud.

"You've already met Thunderpants!" I didn't know who he was talking about, but he stated it like a fact, so I didn't think he was looking for an answer.

"Ok, Nephew. You can crash here for the night. I have a room in my palace you can stay in. Follow me." Then he started walking away. I quickly followed him. A stunned Charon moved out of Hades' way and watched as Hades led me to an elevator. The elevator morphed into a boat at some point. When we got off the boat, Hades continued leading me to his palace. Once we got there, He gave me a little tour, telling me which rooms I could go into and which ones I had to stay out of.

Finally, he showed me the room I was staying in for the night. It was nothing much, but comfy all the same. It had a four-poster bed, a nightstand, a dresser and a bookshelf. I turned around to thank Hades, but he had already left. I crawled into the four-poster bed and fell asleep. Not even changing out of my dirty clothes.

The word count for this chapter is 1020.  I hope you are enjoying my story!