Chapter 16

The next morning, when I walked onto the school grounds, Piers walked right up to me,

"Hey Percy, I have a favor."

I nodded suspiciously. Technically, Piers is still a bully, but for whatever reason, he had taken a odd liking to me. I couldn't tell if he was being manipulative, or if he honestly needed help with something. He must have sensed my hesitation, because he added,

"I'll pay you."

Immediately I was in.

Now, you might want to tell me off for being bribed by money, but you have to remember, I'm an orphan. My father may have set up a school fund, but other then that, I had no money. We didn't get allowance in the orphanage, because chores were just a way of life. But, I mean, a boy needs money. Also, this was a rich kid school. Piers was paying me a solid 100€ (115$ for you Americans). That's like, over 50 king size candy bars.

Oh, and I was already planning on doing his 'favor' anyway. You see, Piers was paying me to tail Dudley and be annoying. He had seen how much I annoyed Dudley, and realized that a bold orphan with no sense of fear following around a idiotic bully might be very entertaining. Of course, I didn't think Piers knew I was an orphan, but my lack of fear was rather evident.

100€ for something I was already planning on doing. Man, I loved Smeltings. Though, the knickerbockers were still a horrible decision.

When Dudley walked into the schoolyard, only 1 minute before the bell rang, I sauntered up to him with what was supposedly a stupid grin on my face.

"Hey Big D, what's hangin? You know, you're probably going to be late to class, unless you run."

In reply, he grunted at me. I just smiled wider,

"I could run ahead and tell Mrs. Elidavé you're running late, or would yo--" Dudley cut me off,

"Not even you could get there in time to not be tardy, it's already the thirty second warning bell. I'd like to see you try, Jackson."

Without hesitation, I took off through the courtyard, yelling over my shoulder,

"I'll let her know to excuse you!"

I made it with time to spare. Well, with seconds to spare. When I came bursting into the room, Mrs. Elidavé raised her eyebrows. I shrugged,

"Dudley's running late. Well, I don't think he's running, but..yeah."

I hadn't meant to throw shade, but I did, and the class thought it was hilarious. I took a dramatic bow and sat down, only to more laughter. Mrs. Elidavé began class. Technically, it was the third day of school, but it was the first day of curriculum. We started with parts of a sentence. My dyslexia made it impossible. I had enough trouble with reading, that writing was near impossible.

About half way through the lesson, Dudley waddled into the room.

"Mr. Dursley, you're late." Mrs Elidavé reprimanded. The class snickered. She continued,

"But, one of your classmates told me you were a bit behind, so I will excuse it this one time."

Dudley glowered at me. I smiled and waved back at him. His scowl deepened. I turned back to class. I felt Dudley's glare for the whole rest of the hour. It was rather annoying, but I knew how to get him back.

Pretty soon, the bell rung, signaling the beginning of passing time. I hurried out of the classroom before Dudley, and waited outside the doorway. When he came out of the classroom, I slung my arm around his shoulder,