Chapter 17

Quick note, I went back and edited it so Percy doesn't know about his powers 'cause it fits the story better if he's clueless.

At lunch, news seemed to have gotten out about Dudley being beaten at wrestling by the new kid. Of course, with his reputation as the school bully, he wouldn't stand for that. Thats why, lunch was a disaster.

Same as yesterday, I sat down next to Dudley and his bully gang. They sat in the corner of the cafeteria, right next to an emergency exit and a broken water fountain. Once again, I didn't have any lunch money, but at least I had had breakfast this morning. 

For the first five minutes or so, Dudley and his gang completely ignored my presence. They just silently ate their food, all while shooting me menacing glances. After those first five minutes, someone started kicking me under the table. Hard. I didn't try to retaliate, but it was very annoying.

Foolishly, I thought this was as bad as it would get.

The kicking only lasted about two minutes. Then, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around, expecting to see Dudley or one of his gang members, but instead I saw Grover. He looked nervous, shifting his weight between his feet, and scanning the area intently. He opened his mouth to say something, but Dudley beat him to it.

"Looking for trouble, Crip?"

"Was he talking to you?"

I looked around to see who said that, before realizing it was me. I also realized that Grover hadn't actually spoken, making it a stupid comeback. Dudley looked shocked at being spoken back to. I felt my face turn red, but I needed to stand my ground despite my embarrassment.

"Go ahead, Grover. Just ignore Big D. He doesn't have any manners."

Grover swallowed nervously,

"Right, yeah so I just wanted to uh, ask your name?"

"Oh!" I smiled, "yeah, I'm Percy Jackson." I stuck out my hand for Grover to shake, which he took all too enthusiastically. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Okay Grover. It's nice to meet you."

Grover made a sound that sounded suspiciously like a goat, before darting away. I turned back to Dudley, who was still trying to process that fact that I wasn't scared of him.

"Close your mouth, you'll catch flies." Dudley looked at me, and his shocked face turned to anger. He stood up and glared down at me.

"Listen here, Jackson. You beat me at wrestling fair and square, but you are really pissing me off, and I'm not afraid to punch you into next week."

Before I could process the threat, I was standing and staring Dudley down,

"Yeah, I'd looked to see you try."

Then he did try. I ducked just in time, and he ended up punching the air. I laughed, but that only pissed him off more. He took a lumbering step towards me, and I scrambled backward, hitting the wall. Now it was his turn to laugh. He had me completely cornered, or so he thought. I looked around for options, but the only thing nearby was the old broken water fountain. The thing probably hadn't been used in years. I wondered if there was still water running through the rusty pipes. At that thought, I felt a tug deep in my stomach, and heard a strange gurgling from the fountain. Dudley was getting closer, but I was focused on the fountain. Just as Dudley was about to pin me against the wall, the fountain exploded, spraying pressurized water everywhere. It blasted Dudley in the face, and knocked him to his butt.

Then, just as quickly as it had started, the spray of water ended. I looked around, every single one of Dudleys goons was soaking wet, yet somehow I was completely dry. Everybody in the cafeteria was staring at me. I smiled awkwardly and waved.

Somehow, that didn't make anybody feel any better.

I sighed and offered Dudley my hand. He took it and stood up. All the animosity between us was momentarily forgotten, because Mrs. Englegrass was storming through the cafeteria headed straight for us. I had been in trouble enough times to know what was about to happen.

Word count 685.

Ahahaha guess who's back? Anyways, this chapter is really short, but at least it's here. I kinda like it, it's plot filled, so that's fun.