Chapter 15

I woke up in my bed, with my pajamas on, even though I didn't remember changing into them. My alarm was going off.  Alexander and Oliver were still sleeping, so I silenced my alarm quickly.  I had school today, so I had to get ready. I was one of the earliest risers in the orphanage, so no one else was awake. That was okay with me though, because sometimes I just needed quite. Right now was one of those times. I needed to think about my dream. Maybe dream. Maybe. I'm not even sure if it was a dream or not. I climbed out of bed and stretched my arms. I was used to having weird dreams that felt too realistic. When I tried talking about it with Olivia she told me that it was not normal. She also told me that it's not normal for me not to remember anything before the age of nine. I've kind of just accepted the fact that I'm not normal. Most orphans aren't, but me even more so than others. I walked over to the window and peered out into the street. It looked the exact same as it had the night before. Though, I guess a man standing on the street wouldn't really change the appearance of the street. So I guess that was no help with deciphering whether or not it was a dream. I sighed and went to get ready. My mental state didn't affect whether or not I had to go to school, unfortunately.

I got my uniform out of the closet where I hung it the night before. Luckily, it wasn't wrinkled. I got dressed, knickerbockers and all.

The sun had barely risen, and was casting a warm red glow over the streets. There was morning dew hanging in the air, and the streets were about as quiet as London streets could be.

As you might have guessed, I was walking to school. I lived close enough that it wasn't a problem. If we got a lotto snow later, it would be a problem, but right now I didn't mind. It was a little chilly outside, but still comfortable. As I walked, I realized I forgot to eat breakfast. Oh well, I was probably too distracted by my dream thingy.

The moment the dream crossed my mind, the wind started blowing a little harder, and it smelled like the sea. I was deeply unsettled. I had smelled the sea before because of our annual orphanage  trip to the seaside, but this breeze smelled more personal. Almost as if it was calling me, and me specifically. Instantly, I knew this had something to do with me dream, only now I knew it wasnt so much a dream as it was a vision. I would have really appreciated it if I could sit down and think, but I had ended up at school. I could have sworn that the walk was supposed to be longer. Not that I'm complaining. I might not mind walking to school, but that doesn't automatically mean I love it.

School started in about fifteen minutes, but because I had showed up late yesterday, I didn't quite know the way to my first class. I glanced across the schoolyard instead of facing my problem. I didn't really want to go to the office and ask for help. That's too embarrassing. So instead, I decided I would follow Dudley. He was the only student I really recognized off the top of my head, and I knew he was in all of my classes. Yeah, I'm aware that I'm pushing my nonexistent luck. I know that Dudley hates me, and probably wants to give mr a good punch across the face, but whatever. I'm more likely to get kicked out of school for not showing up to my classes than I am for annoying Dudley. Probably. I'll probably end up expelled anyways. I always get expelled in the end.  I spot Dudley immediately. He was very easy to spot for three reasons. One, he was huge. Two, students moved out of his way like it had been practiced. And three, he was beating someone up.

So, he really truly was a bully.  School started in about ten minutes now, but I thought that that would still probably be enough time for Dudley to really hurt the kid. So, be being the nice, wonderful, kind, and thoughtful person I am, I decided to step in. I dashed across the school yard and stepped into the ring everyone had created around Dudley. I felt the crowd tense, because, as already established, kids did not stand up against Dudley very often.

"Ay Dudders. Pick on someone your own size. Oh wait..."

Yes, I'm  aware that I shouldn't make fun of someone's weight, but it was one of the quickest and 100% guaranteed way to get his attention off the kid he was beating up, and onto me. And yes, I also know that getting his attention was a really stupid decision.