Chapter 24: The Mask Beneath

Their archaic eyes roam, searching for someone who will vanquish the suffocating silence tangling in their necks. Yet, none of them wishes to utter a word that may destroy someone, for everyone has a name for someone who will claim the identity of the second of all time.

A glint of light suddenly appears right in front of them, slowly robbing their attention to the current mystery they wish to unfold. And as the light slowly fades, the answer to one of their problems emerges like a miracle, and within their eyes reflects ease as Light leisurely reach the scroll, covered with mold and rust. He holds the ancient scroll with care as if too much force will tear it whole.

“A way out…” Light says, blinking. He briskly walks to the table near him, gently placing the scroll on the wooden table. “This is the map of World of Sorcerers, and this is where we are right now—Dark Continent.”

“Saglit,” sambit ni Sue, pilit na sumisiksik sa kanyang mga kasama na nakapalibot sa lamesa. “Isn’t it odd that out of nowhere that map just suddenly appeared?”

“Sa tingin mo ba hindi namin naisip ‘yon?” Pang-asar na tanong sa kanya ni Celine. “Akala mo naman matalino talaga s’ya.”

“Aba’t—”

“Hihirit ka pa. Hayaan niyo na lang sina Light d’yan.”

Hinigit ni Celine paalis si Sue paalis sa may lamesa dahilan upang sumunod ang iba sa kanya. Nang maiwan ang mga lalaki ro’n, isang malalim na buntong hininga ang pinakawalan ni Light at muling sinuri ang mapa.

“Belphegor…” Phoenix mumbles inside his head. “Bakit n’ya kami tinutulungan? Anong kailangan niya?”

Light let his eyes feast while registering every detail and information in his mind. In his mind, the map itself is a gift, especially since no one has ever known the continent that caters to both good and evil.

The Divine Continent, having the 12 kingdoms reigned by the twelve chosen gods, along with the presence of Mount Seraphyl, lies to the left hemisphere. In the right hemisphere, the Dark Continent repose, the mainland has the six kingdoms owned by the Kins who vows to serve Satan. And at the bottom, an island corrupted with darkness, lies the kingdom ruled by the king of Kins.

Between the Divine and Dark Continent, the sacred land of the Elysian Continent lies, a place that even the Kins could never touch. And the most mysterious land, the Asraon Continent, the island that enigmatically sprouted out of nowhere. Its tale remains a mystery for everyone; no one was supposed to know its identity until one day, one of its people appeared in the Elysian Continent, injured and dying. And to every seraphim’s surprise, its blood was odd, along with its entire presence— the perfect balance of good and evil.

“Nasa atin nga ang map pero…” Ani ni Riley sabay turo sa anim na kaharian ng mga Kins. “Hindi tayo sigurado kung lahat ‘yan ay may daan pabalik sa Labyrinth.”

“Saan ba kayo dumaan?” Tanong ni Night.

“Actually, that was a mystery to us. Hindi naman alam kung saan kami dumaan,” sagot naman ni Aizen.

Dahan-dahan na naningkit ang mga mata ni Phoenix, tintitigan ang mapa sa kanilang harapan. Tinuro niya ang gilid na bahagi ng mapa’t bumaling sa kanyang mga kasama.

“Dito natin nakita sina Ice at Night na kinakalaban si Satan, mabilis lang din tayong nakarating dito nang makagpas tayo sa Nereids Sanctuary,” paliwanag ni Phoenix.

Ilang beses kumurap ang mga kasama niya’t tinitigan lamang siya. Dahil hindi maipinta ang mukha ni Aizen, bahagya siyang lumapit kay Phoenix at nilapat ang kanyang palad sa noo nito saka lumingon kayna Xian.