Chapter 40 - time of silence

I always imagined what it would be like to be dead, I always felt like resurrection wasn't real, but I feel myself being lifted off the ground. It's more bumpy than I thought. "It's ok it'll be okay" I hear a voice and I open my eyes. It turns out I wasn't being resurrected, he was lifting me. I now rest in the tattooed arms of the man I love. The whole place silences again and Eric puts me standing on my own two feet.

He just engulfs me in a hug. I realise I'm not I injured in the slightest. "But how?" I ask and Eric looks at me. "I snapped out of it and saw max running over. I shot the gun and..... but he was gonna hurt you...... I was going to hurt you" he says almost crying. "You didn't the main thing is we are alright now." I say and eric nods. I realise we are in a shelter. "Stay here, I'll be back soon" he says trying to walk off but I grab his arm. "Where are you going?" I ask "to sort something out" he says trying to walk off again but I only grip him tighter. "Where are you going?" I ask again. "To find Jeanine, in dauntless headquarters." He says and I stand up. "I'm coming and there is nothing you can say or do to change it." I say and he nods. We walk out and I see the dauntless headquarters is only across the street.

I am about to walk across the naked street but Eric grabs my arm and covers my mouth. "Shhh they'll hear you. We need there weapons" he says and I nod. We count to three and run out. I see two guards and Eric takes on one while I take on the other. I kick the mindless solider in the balls and knock him out with a cheap shot to the temple. I pick up his handgun and Eric gets a rifle. We run across to avoid anymore shooting. We get ready to shoot down any guards but as we walk through the HQ they are all laying across the floor either dead or covered in blood. We continue until we reach the control room. We stop outside and hear talking inside. "Let's go in" I say and Eric nods. "I love you" he mouths and I just smile. We hold our guns out in front of us and run in. To my surprise I see Peter standing gun pointed at Jeanine. But Jeanine and her minions are pointing towards him also. I stand beside peter and so does Eric.

"And here I thought you might have actually been a normal girlfriend for him ro, well I was wrong. A divergent" Jeanine says and I just furrow my brows. "Son, you could have done better than that piece of work, even though your not much better yourself are you? Divergent" she says and I speak up. "Shut yo you cow" "you know what happens to divergents don't you?" She says pointing her guns toward me and Eric. Keeping his gun pointed Eric grasps one of my hands for a second and squeezes it. "You never deserved to be a mother. Ro is already a better woman than you'll ever be." He says. At that I shoot my gun and the gunshots go off. I open my eyes again and look at Jeanine. She is dead on the floor. I smile and see her minions cower before us. "We did it..." I say. I turn around and what faces me I would never be ready for.

Eric's body sprung across the floor. I scream at the top of my lungs not caring if I sound like a baby. "No no no no no" Jeanine must have shot him. I check for a heartbeat but it's not there. I grab his shoulders and shake him vigorously. "Wake up!!!!! Wake up" I cry tears flowing everywhere as I realise it's no use. "I love you Eric! Wake up" I hear running but I don't care. I just put Eric's hands in mine and sob loudly. "Ro we have to go!!" Peter shouts and I realise the simulation has stopped but jeanines loyal people are chasing us. "I'm not leaving him! He'll wake up soon" I convince myself and Peter just looks at him upset. "Ro..... he's dead. And unless you want to be to grab his gun and yours and run!" He says and I grab Erica rifle and the gun he almost shot me with. I also grab my gun and knife and give Eric's body one last kiss. I run out behind Peter and see the train. We jump in and I sit on the floor, put my head in my knees and start to sob.

This can't be true. It just can't be. He's not dead. He can't be. It's our anniversary. 2 months. I..... I never told him...... that's not important right now. I hear Peter talking to someone so I sit up, drying my tears. It's four and tris. Tris looks around and so does four. "Where's Eric?" Four asks and I just begin to cry. "He better not have chosen that side over you because if he did I'm gonna-" "four he died" Peter stops him mid sentence and I get up and go into another train carriage, for total silence. I need time to process this on my own.

After about twenty minutes we arrive at the fence. I here the train carriage door open and I jump out. I am rejoined with four and tris and Peter. I don't speak I just stay silent. "We have to get a car" four says and we nod. We head over to the car and they ask us do we want a ride. Everyone nods there head except me, I only look toward the path full of wheat and barley at either side. "I'm gonna walk it" I say and four comes closer. "I will to" he says and I shake my head. "Alone" I add and he steps back. "We will meet you at Johannas office." tris says and I nod. I begin to walk up through the fields, watching all the people as I go. So cheery. A little boy with red dungarees comes up to me.

"Why you so sad?" He asks and I just reach down and graze his tanned check gently with the side of my hand. "Honey,im not sad. I'm fine" I reassure him but he shakes his head. "No your sad, why?" He asks and I take a deep breath. "I lost someone very close to me" "why can't you just find them". A tear comes to my eye but I don't let it escape. "It's not that easy... I'm fine. Go on back to your mommy." I say and he shakes his head. "My mommy went to visit my auntie Jeanine, she didn't come back... she was meant to be home 6 hours ago. I'm scared" he says and the tear slips down my cheek. "Mommy said if anything bad happened to find an adult. Are you an adult?" He asks and I nod my head. "I'll bring you to Joanna come on" I say and begin to walk, he follows me. "Your dauntless right?" He asks and I nod as we walk through the long grass. "Do you know my uncle. Eric" he asks and I freeze.

"Ummm I used to" I say and he goes to talk but I change the subject. "So do you know where Joanna is. I'm meant to meet her too." I say and he nods. "In that barn." He says and with that I hear a scream from behind. Not a scream of pain but of joy. For a split second I thought it was Eric, but then I see it's a girl. The child's eyes widen with happiness. "Mommy!" He says and runs to her. I look the bitch in the eyes. I see she has blood on her sleeve and my eyes narrow as I look at her. She's the one who shot Eric. I go up to the child and look at him. "See Johannas barn? Go inside four will play a game with you!" I say and he runs for the barn. I walk closer to the woman who displays a smirk on her face.

"Your own flesh and blood" I say in disgust. "It was a good shot wasn't it?" She says and I shake my head tears on the rims of my eyes. I put my hand up to punch her but I put it back in my pocket. What's the point?
"You know what your not even worth it" I say and I begin to walk off. "He was worthless anyway." She says and I stop. I turn around and look her in the eyes. That's the mistake she made. I go over to her and raise my fist. It connects with her jaw and I kick her gut.

I turn around and see Johanna. "Ro, I should be punishing you for that" she says and even though the woman on the ground is hurt she smiles. "But I won't be since you've done half my job for me" she continues and kicks her in the gut. "Your condemned to death" she says to the lady and she goes pale. "But... but I didn't do anything." "A life for a life" Johanna simply states and I walk away with her as guards take the woman away. "I have a foster home for the kid" she says shortly and I nod.
"Don't kill the lady" I say and she stops shocked. "I thought you might want vengeance for Eric.." she says but I shake my head. "Not in that way. She deserves to live every day of her life knowing what she did, knowing that she killed her own nephew and that she would have to explain to her hold why he would never see uncle Eric again. That's what she deserves" I say and Johanna nods. She makes some calls and the guards release the lady. She walks up to us and stands in front of me.

"Why don't you want me killed?" She asks and I just shake my head. "You think I like you? You think I like the fact that you get to walk around here guilt free?" I say and she shakes her head. "Well then why did you set me free?"
"So you can arise everyday and picture his beautiful blue icy eyes and his laugh that lights up the night, his stubble when he doesn't shave. The books he used to read. So that you will know you made all that disappear. That's why." I say and continue to walk with Johanna.
We walk into a building with lots of bedrooms and I am told we are staying here.

"You are very welcome here Ro. If you need anything just come to me.

All I think in my head is, 'yeah I do need something'

I need him.