Chapter 5

•••••••••••••••••••••••
Copyright © 2017 Girly
•••••••••••••••••••••••

Chapter 5

Limping back to the ship, you toss the ring to Yondu as he waits for you at the entrance of the hangar. He inspects the ring with a grin and walks off down a corridor.

The rest of the crew filter into the ship and walk off in different directions, leaving you standing there in the hangar. With a quiet sigh, you touch the collar around your neck once more. It’s thin and not too tight, but it reminds you of the collar the slavers had once made you wear. Is this situation any different?

Pursing your lips, you look down at the knife you’re still holding in your left hand and wonder if it can cut through the collar.

“You’ll cut yourself before you cut through that collar,” a voice says nearby.

Looking up, you see Kraglin standing there with some clothes and boots in his hands. “They’re for you,” he says, holding them out. “Captain found them in one of the storerooms. They should fit you better than my clothes,” he jokes.

You slip the knife into your waistband and walk over, taking the clothes and shoes, thanking him quietly as you do so.  

The Ravager nods and points down one of the corridors, “Uh, Cap’ said I should show you to your room. Said you deserved a proper room away from all us men.”

Snorting, you follow behind Kraglin as he leads you down a dead-end corridor and opens the last door. He steps aside and lets you take in the room that’s to be yours.

It’s plain and nothing special, but just as that thought is passing through your mind, Kraglin adds, “Captain said you can make it yours with whatever you want to steal.”

Smiling, you ask, “Do you Ravagers ever buy anything?”

The man shrugs, “Mostly alcohol.”

Chuckling, you watch as Kraglin slowly backs out of the room and jerks his thumb down the corridor, “You’re welcome to join us for dinner later if you like; I think the chef’s making a roast or somethin’.”

Seeing you nod, the slim Ravager turns and disappears down the corridor, leaving you in the room, you begin stripping out of Kraglin’s clothes and pull on the new ones. They’re women’s clothing and you smile as the leather and fabric hug your body perfectly.

You then fold Kraglin’s clothing and swap the boots over. The new boots have a slight heel and lace half way up your calves – they’re much nice than anything else you’ve worn in galaxy knows how long.

Lying down on the plain bed, you curl up on your side and close your eyes, suddenly feeling tired.

 ~~~

You don’t realise you’d fallen asleep for a few hours, but once you wake up, you quietly wander the corridors in search of the kitchen.

Eventually, you can hear the loud gruff voices of the pirate crew and follow it to the kitchen and common area.

A few of the Ravagers look up and eye you, but you ignore them as you grab a plate, load it with food and grab some cutlery.

You turn back to the men and the blue captain instantly draws your attention as he waves you over. Kicking out a chair to the right of him as he sits at the head of the table, he whistles at you, “C’mon ‘ere, girly.”

You bite this inside of your cheek, but take the offered seat and dig into your meal once settled on the metal chair.

You can feel Yondu’s eyes on you as you eat, but ignore them.

Eventually however, you turn to him and shoot him a look, “What?”

He takes a sip from his glass and says slowly, “We’re landing tomorrow on Xandar, and there’s some things you might want to steal while we’re there on business. As long as you don’t try and take that collar off, girly.”

Snorting softly, you quirk a lopsided smile, “No worries, old man.”

“Old man, huh?”

You shrug, “Just telling it how I see it.”

The blue man looks at you a while longer, before cracking a sharp toothed smile and leaning back in his seat. “You’re a mouthy Terran, aren’t you?”

“And how would you know? Seen many Terrans?”

Yondu purses his lips, “A few. Picked up one a while back and kept him for a while.”

You snatch the half full drink from his hand and scull it. The Ravager waits for you to finish before he asks, “How did you end up with slavers?”

It’s not a question you want to answer, but you inhale deeply, trying to settle your emotions as you reply, “Got picked up when I was sixteen. Spaceship got me in the corn field. Cliché, huh?”

The man looks at you, not understanding the reference.

Looking away, you shove the last mouthful of food into your mouth and stand up. Your leg radiates pain as you limp over to the sink, dump your dishes and start heading out of the room. Why am I even telling him this? You ask yourself. Fuck. Why?

The memories are there, and they’re not something you want to relive in front of the Ravagers.

“Hey girly.”

Pausing in the doorway, you look over your shoulder at Yondu as he sits sprawled out in his chair. He waits a few moments before telling you, “Don’t think about ‘em slavers no more, got it? That ain’t your life no more. You’re here now, with us Ravagers.”