Chapter 20

•••••••••••••••••••••••
Copyright © 2017 Girly
•••••••••••••••••••••••

Chapter 20

(Eight months later)

“I’ll see you tomorrow?”

Nodding, you smile at the Xandarian man and grab your bag. “Of course.”

Waving goodbye, you step out of the bar and begin walking down the sidewalk. After Stakar had dropped you off in Boston, he had contacted the Xandarian man he had mentioned to you before leaving. The Xandarian – known as Dan on Earth- had set you up in a small apartment not far from the bar and given you a job. It hadn’t been for free as Stakar had given him some of the jewels in return, but Dan had been kind and understanding with you.

He had gotten his human wife to educate you a little more and show you around the city until she thought you were ready to try and live in the apartment alone. It had started out lonely – you had missed the ship and all you had known in the galaxy, but eventually, you had grown used to the normal, human life.

However, there was – and still is - always something bugging you.

You think about the blue Ravager prick often and for some unknown reason, you can’t get him out of your head. Your chest aches each morning as you wake up from sleep; each night reliving your time with Yondu – each night reliving his touch and his voice.

You tell yourself you hate it, but you know that’s not true – it never will be.

Walking down the pavement, you grip the jacket around your body and shiver as a cold gust of wind blows down the street. Your ears tune in on the sound of heavy footsteps behind you and you feel your hackles raise.

Whirling around as the footsteps grow closer, you catch the stranger off guard. The scraggly man pulls out a small pocket knife and grips it tightly in his fist. You stare at him calmly as his voice wavers, “Give me your bag, bitch.”

You don’t move, frustrating the man. “I said give it to me!”

You want to be surprised by his brazenness, but seeing as its past 3am and the streets are dead, you’re not.

When you don’t respond the way the mugger wants you to, he lunges forward with the knife, aiming it towards your belly.

You react quickly, knowing the process. You’ve had men try and mug you several times since coming back to Earth and it has taken everything within you not to kill them. The consequences on Earth for murder is much more serious than in the outer galaxy.

Directing his outstretched arm away with your palm, you kick the man in the groin until he’s falling to his knees. Once there, you kick him in the face as he screams in pain. He drops the knife as blood gushes from his nose and you kick the knife away, letting it fall into the gutter.

You watch him for a moment, thinking how pathetic he looks as he snivels on the ground. It wouldn’t take much to more to knock him out. Maybe one more hit to the back of the neck or the temple would do it.

“You haven’t changed, have you, girly?”

You freeze, not wanting to turn around and confirm that he’s not there. Your mind lately has a habit of imagining him whenever you’re feeling really low.

You suck in a deep breath however, knowing you’ll have to turn around at some stage and finish the short walk home.

Turning around, you see the blue man standing before you. A lump forms in your throat at the sight of him. He looks so real, you tell yourself. Why does he have to look so real? As if I could touch him?