Chapter 7

•••••••••••••••••••••••
Copyright © 2017 Girly
•••••••••••••••••••••••

Chapter 7

“You coming in?” Yondu asks you as he slips on his coat.

You look up from sharpening your knife – the one you had stolen from the spiny faced alien months ago. It’s become a prized possession to you; something you never leave the ship without. “We on Contraxia again?”

You hate the planet – or more specifically, the brothels there. Sleazy Ravagers always trying to grope you or get in your pants while Yondu and his crew have their fun with the sexbots.  

“Yeah, girly.”

Seeing your scowl, Yondu adds, “Come sit with me in a booth, huh? My shout.”

You snort in disbelief, “What, no bots this time?”

The blue man shoots you a grin and raises an eyebrow playfully, “I think I can manage without this one time.”

With a heavy sigh, you secure the blade to your thigh and stand up. Yondu’s eyes wander down your body briefly before you both leave the bridge and exit the ship, walking over to one of the brothels.

Once inside, you both slip into a booth and order four bottles of Yondu’s favourite alcohol.

Instead of using the glass the waitress leaves for you, you pop one of the bottles open and drink straight from it. The blue man smirks at you and does the same.

“So, any more men you need me to distract?” you ask mockingly.

Yondu shoots you another one of his famous sharp toothed grins, “Why don’t you just relax and watch that little bird up there sing?”

He motions to the small stage where a purple alien woman is singing melodically.

The two of you are silent for a few of the alien’s songs, before Yondu asks you, “What can you remember of Terra?”

Sipping the bright yellow liquid, you look up at the ceiling in thought. Does it really matter what I remember? I can’t change anything – can’t go back to my parents. Can’t see how Earth has changed in the past decade without me. Can’t see how my parents have changed without me there. Have they moved on? Maybe I have a sibling now and I’ll never know.

Rubbing your temple, you pass your gaze over the blue man as he watches you intently and focus on the purple alien up on stage instead. “We had a dog. I can remember that. And a horse I think. My mother was always smiling and singing around the house – she was always working on the farm with my dad while I went to school.”

Drinking some more, you frown in concentration. “There isn’t much more than that. I can barely remember what my parents looked like or what our house,” you add quietly.

As the purple alien finishes her song, you look at Yondu and ask, “So, what about you then?”

You’d never asked him about his past before – but had always guessed he he’d never want to talk about it. For some reason, you think this occasion will be different.

The Ravager shrugs with indifference as he says, “Not much to say; parents sold me to the Kree. Was a battle slave for twenty years before I was freed by Stakar and taken in by the Ravagers. Been a Ravager ever since.”

“And that arrow of yours?”

“My Yaka arrow?”

“Is that what it’s called?” you ask more so to yourself, with raised eyebrows.