•39•

•Ryder's POV•

I open my eyes and wait for them to adjust to the harsh lighting coming in through my window.

I forgot to close my curtains last night, meaning that the early sun shines on me.

My neck cracks as I tilt it to the side to check the time.

6:02, great. I sigh and sit up, looking to the empty otherside of my king bed.

Caleb is getting frustrated, knowing that our mate was in this house last night, but not in this bed.

But Claire needs Mara, I can see that she only trusts her, and maybe Torah. I'll admit, it hurts like hell for Claire not to remember us, I can't even imagine what Mum and Dad are going through right now.

I don't worry about throwing on a t-shirt as I descend the stairs, no one will be up at this time anyway.

The hems of my sweatpants drag along the floor as I slump to the kitchen.

When I get there, I'm surprised when I see someone sitting down on the ground in front of an open cupboard.

The cupboard door blocks my view of the person, so I start walking towards them.

I notice their back shake, and I realise that they're crying.

As soon as I see her long blonde hair, I recongise Mara and scramble to her, grabbing her and pulling her into my arms as I sit on the floor too.

"Shhh, Mara what's wrong?" I ask as I rock her back and forth.

She sniffles, "H-he's really gone Ryder. Cam's gone."

"That's a good thing." I reply, I brush some of the hair out of her face and wipe away an escaped tear.

She looks at me with swollen, red eyes and lowers her voice to a whisper, "We're free."

I sigh in relief and nod, "Yeah, we're free."

I run my fingers through her hair and pull her head into my chest.

After a few minutes, Mara pulls away and rubs her eyes, "What are you doing up so early?"

I look at her, "I could ask you the same thing."

She laughs a little, "I think Claire kicked me out of bed. Literally."

I smile, but deep down it hurts a little to know that Mara is spending time with my sister who doesn't remember me.

Mara must see through my smile, "Sorry." She apologises.

I shake my head, "It's okay, she'll come through."

Mara nods and makes a move to get up, but I grab her and pull her back into my lap.

"Ryder." She rolls her eyes.

"What? I haven't seen you in a week, and in that time I was going crazy." I reply.

Mara sighs and runs her delicate fingers through my messy hair to end hooked around my neck, "I missed you." She says.

I rest forehead against hers and close my eyes when she closes hers, "Yeah? Well I missed you more."

Then I close the small gap between us and touch her beautiful lips with mine, missing the feel of her softness against mine.

She moves her hands back up my neck and takes a fist of my hair in both her hands, not allowing my head to move away from her.

I nibble her lower lip and she moans a little as she opens her mouth for entry. As I slip my tongue into her mouth, my hands grip her hips and my thumbs rub small circles on the bare skin which her top has risen to reveal.