•46•

•Mara's POV•

Do you know that feeling when you're young, and riding your bike for the first time without any assistance.

You're Mum and Dad are behind you cheering you on.

And you just feel like the whole world stops.

It's just you and your bike, you're in control, you're flying.

The whole world stops because it's just one of those moments that you know, 'This is the best day of my life'.

Then there's the fall.

You're better on the bike now, it's about your third ride. You're parents are inside, and you're just riding around the backyard. Just you and your bike.

You speed up, wanting more of the thrill. Then the bike wobbles, you lose your balance.

And you just feel like the whole world stops.

That whole two seconds feels like two hours, your senses alert, your eyes wide.

You put your hands out in front of you, the time moving like it's in slow motion, and you make contact with the ground.

Your hands scraped, knees red and blochy, and the bike is all tangled in your legs.

And what do you do?

You cry.

Because it's the trigger for your mum and dad to come out, they know that you're hurt.

Then time just seems to come back to normal.

And finally the pain kicks in.

What was just the best day of your life, just turned into the worst.

This is what it feels like right now, right at this moment.

I turn my tiger head to the side and see him, James.

Before I can react I see Ryder running at him, as soon as his paws lift from the ground, the whole world goes in slow motion.

I just watch, too shocked to move, James moves his head to see Ryder, a moment of horror crossing his face. Then, he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a gun.

And points it right at me.

In the two seconds that it happened, it felt like forever.

We looked into each others eyes, just watching each other.

As Ryder's paw makes contact with his shoulder, a loud bang sounds and a force pushes me backwards.

For a moment, I just stand there, no feeling at all running through my body.

I start walking and feel a pain from my stomach, that's when a tear runs down my furry cheek.

Knowing it will be better for Snow, I shift back to my human form.

"Mara, I thought-"

I hear Ryder behind me, but the pain takes over, it's too much.

I clutch my stomach, feeling it's a bit wet, and my knees buckle under me and I fall onto them.

"Crap." I mutter.

•Ryan's POV•

I laugh as Torah tells me some stories from her childhood.

"So, what about you?" She asks.

"What about me?" I ask back.