Chapter 7: Meet the Family

The first thing Amelia notices about Maxie's family is the warmth they give off. She is immediately enveloped in a hug the moment she stepped inside the cottage. Shocked at first, she slowly reciprocates the hug before pulling away with a grin. She meets Maxie's eyes from across the room and she couldn't help but feel a blush creeping to her cheeks. She's being led further into the cottage by who she assumes to be Maxie's aunts.

"When Maxie told us she's bringing her girlfriend for the anniversary we got so excited." The one on the right happily tells her.

"Tch. That girl has always been private about her relationship. Not even mentioning she's dating such a beautiful girl like you." The one on the left adds.

"But we're glad she got over that terrible relationship." They finally stop dragging her when they've reached the majority of the family. "I can already tell you're good for her." Amelia is shock at such admission and all she can do is nod her head.

"What are you two doing to her?" Maxie's voice rings out, when Amelia looks at her she's sporting an unamused expression on her face making Amelia smile amusedly.

"Oh we were just telling her how bad you are for keeping such a beautiful girl from your aunts." One says as the other one nods in agreement.

"Considering you're harassing her, I've made the right decision." Maxie argues taking her hand. "I'll borrow my girlfriend for now before you can scare her off even more." Without waiting for a response, she's being led to the rooms. "Sorry about them. Those two are always sticking their noses up into my personal life." She hears the girl whispers as they reach their room. "I'll scold them later, for now why don't you relax. The celebration shouldn't start until 7." Maxie adds shyly as Amelia looks around the room.

"I actually think it's adorable how they get excited over you having a girlfriend." She states plopping down the bed. "I don't mind being asked around. We are 'dating' after all." She puts quotes in the word dating and notices Maxie's eyes glaze over for a second.

"You're right but still. They may seem harmless but they're both investigative journalist. It's in their nature to probe." The girl warns shaking her head. "I should go outside before they think we're doing something inappropriate." Maxie walks to the door, she wants to stop the girl but she lets the girl out.

The moment Maxie closes the door she lets out a sigh before perking up at the presence of her mother.

"You never told us you were dating the event manager we hired for the party." Her mom states beckoning them to move further from the room. Maxie follows without hesitation not wanting the girl in the room to overhear whatever conversation she would have with her mom. "When have you been keeping secrets from us Mackenzie?" She teases.

"I don't know what you're talking about mother." Maxie deadpans. "It never came up in our conversations so I didn't thought it's important." She adds trying to sound nonchalant.

"Mackenzie, I'm your mother. I know you better than you think I do. That girl is important to you and when someone or something is important, you would share it to us." Her mom stops walking.

"Mom." She warns and her mom smiles at her.

"I love you honey. I don't want you to get hurt." Her mom comes up to her and pats her cheek.

"I know mom. I love you too mom. I'll try not to." She smiles reassuringly getting a smile back from the older woman before they start walking once again.

"Your grandparents have been restless since you've announced you're bringing someone. Make sure she's prepared for them." With that her mom moves to the kitchen while Maxie moves to the living room. She sees her grandparents on the couch talking animatedly to her uncles and cousins making her smile. It's an annual thing for everyone to be present and she's glad she's attended every single one of them.