Chapter 29: Whatever Happens, We Face It Together

Amelia takes a deep breath as she sits in the passenger's seat, eyes lock outside. It has been two days since she broke off the engagement, reconciled with her one true love and hid as much as she could from her mom. Her dad called her to tell her she will not be disturbed by her mom and they will wait for her to come home herself. She's grateful that her dad kept his words of handling her mom but she knows she needs to face her mom sooner than later. Her hand is taken into warm, comforting ones and she looks to see Maxie's warm amber eyes and comforting smile.

"Hey, no matter what happens don't let go okay?" Maxie gives her hand a squeeze. "I'm with you every step of the way." A kiss on the back of her hand, enough to soothe her nerves as she nods determinedly. Amelia leans in to press a gentle kiss against Maxie before resting their foreheads together.

"Together." She whispers getting a nod in return. Taking another deep breath, she steadies her nerves and gets out of the car. She walks around the car, Maxie takes her hand as they face the doors.

"Ready?" Maxie inquires and all she can do is nod as she feels her feet start moving. When they step inside, every single head turns to them and Amelia can feel her heart beating wildly in her chest. Without glancing at anyone, Amelia keeps walking towards her mom's office with Maxie walking beside her. She contemplates whether she should knock or not when the decision is made for her when the door swings open and she is greeted by her dad's face. He gives her a smile before his eyes looks down on the intertwined hands and moves back up to meet her eyes. Without another word, he stands to the side letting them in and she is met by her mom's disapproving look.

"Amelia." She stands in front of her mom's desk and barely contains a flinch. "What the hell are you doing?" Her mom demands. Amelia stands her ground, her hand tightening its grip on Maxie's. "Do you have any idea how much humiliation you brought to our family with your stunt at the engagement party?" Her mom adds glaring at her then at Maxie. "And you! Don't you have any shame?" The older woman demands and Amelia is ready to jump in to defend Maxie.

"I love your daughter Mrs Porter." Maxie announces, she feels the comforting squeeze the girl gives her. "I won't apologize for what happened at the engagement party. I would do it all over again." Amelia stares lovingly at the other girl, admiring her strength and she can't help but smile lovingly at her. Her attention is brought back to her mom when she hears the older woman scoff.

"Love. You think love can build business partnerships? Win over investors?" Her mom challenges shaking her head.

"Mom please." Amelia pleads, her eyes lock on her mom's. "I know you hate Maxie because of her mom but I love her. I don't want to marry someone I don't even know, let alone love." This time she's the one squeezing Maxie's hand in comfort. "I'm sorry mom but I can't do what you want me to do." She finishes, hoping her voice did not falter. She sees her mom's jaw clenching tightly before the woman sighs in defeat.

"I'm not giving you my blessing." Her mom starts and Amelia opens her mouth to argue but her mom cuts her off. "But I won't stop you from pursuing this nonsense." The words brings relief to Amelia and she breathes out. "If whatever this is fails, don't expect me to give you any sympathy." Her mom finishes waving them off. Amelia knows better than to push so she drags Maxie out of her mom's office but not before hugging her dad. As soon as they step out of the building, Amelia lets out a sigh of relief as she looks at the girl she is finally free to love.

"I don't know what just happened but I'm-" she cuts off Maxie as she flings herself at the girl and pressing their lips together. "We can finally be together." Maxie whispers against her lips and Amelia grins widely as she nods her head.

"No more hiding." She says breathlessly. "I love you Maxie." The smile that slowly takes over her girlfriend's face makes the sun shine brighter, the sky bluer and her heart beat just a bit faster at the amount of love she has for the girl.