Chapter 8: The 'I'm In Love with my Best Friend' Cliche

Since she was a kid Maxie always had trouble making friends not because she's not social but because she finds it hard to connect to someone at a deeper level. At the age of 7, she met her very first friend but sadly said friend moved to another state at the end of their summer vacation. She had friends at school but she finds them boring at times, only talking about uninteresting things like clothes, toys and boys. Maxie doesn't make an effort to be close to anyone until she met Lori. Lori is one of the few people who understands her on a deeper, intellectual level. Lori is 2 years older than her so she's more of a sister-figure to her than just a close friend. So when Lori voices out her concern about Maxie's relationship with Amelia after Amelia calling her her best friend, she understands the older girl's worry for her. The last thing Lori wants is for Maxie to get her heart broken. Maxie reassures her she has it all under control with Lori frowning before leaving her be to attend to some customers. She would be lying if she said she's not scared of what would happen if she does crosses the line between friends and lovers with Amelia but she has to trust that it could end in either good or bad.

"Hey. Did I make you wait long?" Amelia's voice snaps her out of her thoughts and she smiles at the girl, shaking her head no. "Sorry. I tried to get out of the office as fast as I can but mom seemed more attentive to me than before." The girl explains huffing in frustration.

"Why so?" She inquires as they start walking the street. It has been 2 weeks since they pretended to be dating for their respective families. There's no need for them to keep pretending but they're best friends now so there's nothing wrong with always hanging out with each other.

"Ever since I introduced you as my girlfriend, she's been keeping an eye on me. It's like she's waiting for me to slip up and admit that all of it was just fake." Amelia explains shaking her head.

"I guess that she's still hoping you'd come to your senses and date Benjamin." Maxie states keeping the venom out of her voice. She sees the girl scrunch up her face at the mention of Benjamin and she can't help but laugh.

"As if. You're way better than him." Amelia loops her arm around hers.

"I'm just a bartender." Maxie teases getting an unamused look from her friend.

"I take that any day over a self-absorbed engineer." The girl states smiling up at her. "Come on. I want to have a fun night with my bestie." Amelia adds dragging her towards the club. Bestie huh? Maxie thinks of the word and for the first time she despises it. She lets herself be guided inside the club, holding onto Amelia's hand as tightly as she can without hurting the girl. They have decided to change sceneries and meet some of Amelia's friends at a nearby club. Maxie's not one for clubbing but she's not oppose to it especially if it means she gets to hang out with the brown haired girl all night.

"Amelia! Over here." She hears someone call over and lets Amelia lead towards her friends' table. "Glad you can make it." Her hand is let go in order for the girl to hug her friends one by one.

"Are you kidding? I'm not missing this one out." Amelia shouts over the music as Maxie stays behind not really knowing what to do that is until she locks eyes with the girl who flirted with her back then. She's suddenly being pulled into a hug by said girl and barely registers the surprised shriek leaving her lips.

"I'm so glad to see you Miss Bartender." The girl says as she struggles to free herself from the hug.

"Roxie stop it. You're scaring my girl." Amelia chastises getting in between them, she's thankful for that.

"My girl? Wait a minute. You two are together?" The girl, Roxanne, asks pointing at the two of them. "When did that happen?" She adds still confuse. Maxie feels Amelia taking her hand and squeezing it.