Chapter 11: Just A One Time Thing Cliche

The next time Maxie sees Amelia, the girl was clearly distraught and she has no idea why. It's a Saturday and they decided to go to some coffee shop to change sceneries from the usual bar or club hang out. She has avoided the girl since she's gotten back from her grandparents' house with excuses like work taking all of her time. Amelia seems to have needed the time apart as well as she never called her out on her lies. So now, here she is sitting across a round table from her friend. She has been keeping silent so far, waiting for Amelia to start the conversation and it doesn't take that long.

"So I told my parents and my siblings." Amelia starts almost timidly.

"Oh? How did they take it? I bet your parents were relieved." She didn't mean it to sound bitter but it slip. Either the girl noticed it or simply chose to ignore it, she gives a sigh.

"Not gonna lie. Mom and dad seemed pretty pleased with the news." The girl informs her and she just hums in response. "How about you? Have you told anyone?"

"Yeah. I told my parents and grandparents when I was visiting them last weekend." She says nonchalantly. "They seemed devastated with the news since they liked you but I told them we're friends so." She trails off shrugging. Amelia stays quiet after that and Maxie doesn't break the silence. That is until she hears that familiar voice calling her. She turns around on her seat quickly to see the last person she ever wants to see in her life.

"Oh my god! It is you!" Maxie stands up as the person comes closer to her. "I haven't seen you for so long. How have you been?" Maxie's eyes turns hard and cold at the audacity of this girl asking her such a question.

"I'm good. Thanks for asking." She answers coldly backing away from the girl. "I should say I'm surprised to see you here after 3 years Cindy." Her old ex friend, Cindy, gives her a sad smile.

"I'm only here for a convention. I never thought I'd run into you." The girl says and Maxie decides it's time to end this conversation.

"Well you have. I would say it's good to see you but then that would be a lie." She breathes out harshly and meets worried green eyes looking back and forth at them.

"I know you're still angry at me but I wish we can be friends again." Cindy tries to reach for her hand only to stop when she glares at her. "I guess I should get going. It was nice seeing you Maxie." With that the girl goes out of the coffee shop as Maxie silently fumes, her anger and resentment towards that person has never receded even after 3 years. She takes a deep breath and sit back down on her chair to see a Amelia frowning in concern.

"Hey. I'm here for you." She hears Amelia tell her and she smiles at the words. "Who was that?"

"An ex friend of mine." She answers blankly before turning her head to look at her companion. "We used to be close. Dare I say it, I considered her one of my closest friends. Told her everything and it felt like I found someone I can rely on for all my life." She explains, her mind taking her back to the time she and Cindy were friends.

"What happened?" Amelia timidly asks, probably afraid to cross boundaries.

"We had a fall out." She offers and knows she should elaborate. "She started seeing this person and suddenly it felt like our friendship was just there to sustain her when her person isn't available. I got fed up and told her I want a friend I can rely on, not someone who remembers me just because they're not busy with their current interest." As she says this, she knows her voice is growing darker and colder. "She told me she'll be better and that she'll spend time with me but it ended up an empty promise, a bullshit she thought I would believe. So I cut it off. I don't see why keeping people like her will do me any good." She finishes with her hands clench into fists. "I cut off every possible communication with her, every connection and just moved on. I guess I'm still angry at her for making false promises and for abandoning me for someone else but that's life. People make promises but they don't mean to keep it." She mutters feeling Amelia's hands taking hers.