Chapter 17: A Family Feud

"Amelia please come into my office. Now." Her mom's voice chillingly flows the hallway and all Amelia can do is to do what she's been told to. She walks to her mom's office with the coffee cup and paper bag still in hand, closing the door behind her and sitting in the chair situated in front of her mom's glass table. "Do you know who you're dating exactly Isabelle?" Her mom asks and she can't help but scoff. "I thought you broke up with that girl?"

"Mom you've met Maxie before." She answers her defensive nature coming to the surface. "We got back together last night."

"I've met Maxie the bartender but I'm far more curious about who she truly is." Her mom produces a folder and drops it in front of her. She frowns looking at it then at her mom. "I got her investigated. There's something about her that just doesn't sit well with me."

"Mom!" She exclaims, not entirely happy her girlfriend's privacy was compromised. "Why would do that?" She shakes her head but her eyes glance at the folder still in front of her.

"Just open the folder. She's not who you think she is." Her mom says dismissively and Amelia snatches the folder off the table, wanting to get this over with. What she sees inside makes her freeze. She looks up to her mother's knowing gaze before getting out of the office.

Maxie is in fact undeniably happy as she walks into the bar. Don't get her wrong, she's not a grumpy person per se, just not a bubbly, ray of sunshine like she is today. It's getting her knowing looks from her friends/co-workers in the bar as she takes her place behind the counter.

"I'm guessing someone had a good night last night." Lori immediately voices out as she starts cleaning the glasses.

"Best night." Maxie answers, smiling at the memory.

"Did you score?" Lori teases good-naturedly.

"No. Get your mind out of the gutter." She retorts and sees Lori backing off.

"I mean I would have thought you two had sex last night. I mean you already did have sex before." Lori innocently says getting an eyeroll from her.

"That doesn't mean we're gonna have sex right after the first date." She hisses and hears the bells' chime to see her mom walking towards the bar station.

"Oh my. Despite your age I still don't feel comfortable hearing about you engaging in intercourse." Her mom states as the woman takes a seat on the bar stool.

"Hi mom." She greets giving her mom a kiss on the cheek. "What brings you here? Last time I checked I don't have a party of yours to attend to."

"Can't a mother visit her only child for no reason whatsoever?" Her mom responds ordering a cup of coffee from Lori who's more than happy to provide.

"No but it's unusual for you to come here. You're quite a busy woman." She tells her giving her mom her full attention. Lori brings her mother's coffee and she watches as the woman takes a few sips before meeting her eyes. All her life Maxie has looked up to both her parents for guidance and they have never once let her down. Despite their busy schedules they still find time to attend all of her school activities and graduation. Maxie is nothing but grateful for her parents' support for her and even until now. "Where's dad?"

"He's in a meeting with some potential partners from Brussels." Her mom answers looking around the bar. "Quite an achievement you made here. Your dad and I are very proud of you." It's not rare for her mom to praise her but that doesn't mean every praise is less special. Her mom looks back at her with that proud smile she reserves for her. "We never doubted you. We knew you have it in you."

"Thanks mom." She mutters genuinely. "I have something to tell you." At that her mom tilts her head to the side and nods for her to continue. "I'm dating Amelia." Her mom's eyebrows shoots up in surprise. "It's real this time." She confesses and for a full minute her mom stays silent, sipping her coffee as.