Chapter 20: Hold My Hand, Never Let Me Go

Amelia breathes a sigh of relief when she sees Maxie waiting for her outside the bar as she pays the driver and exits the taxi. She all but runs to the raven haired girl who smiles and opens her arms for her. It has become a custom every time they see one another. One that Amelia is surely enjoying.

"Hi." Maxie whispers against her hair as she buries her head into the girl's neck. Breathing that distinctive smell she's grown to love.

"Hi." She greets back pulling away enough to look into amber eyes. "I missed you." Maxie chuckles lightheartedly and she can't help but join in.

"I missed you too." The girl replies caressing her face. "I thought I won't be able to see you soon." Maxie cups her face and Amelia all but melts into her.

"I won't let that happen." She leans in to close the small distance between them. She feels Maxie responding immediately. "We should get out of here before Raymond finds me." She whispers against soft lips and gets a nod. Amelia laces their fingers together as they run as fast as they can before Raymond finds them.

Amelia lies on her side watching her girlfriend change into a more comfortable clothes. Maxie catches her eyes and gives her a smirk as she walks to the bed and lie down beside her. She immediately snuggled closer to the other girl, breathing in her scent and enjoying the warmth Maxie always seem to have.

"So what were you doing in your parents' company?" Amelia finally questions looking up at amber eyes. "Is everything alright?" She adds getting a sad smile from the other girl.

"Yeah. Everything's alright." Maxie mutters but Amelia's heart starts hammering loudly against her chest. "There's something I need to tell you." Those words are enough to send Amelia into a panic attack. Negative thoughts start running through her mind and she tries to stay calm as she waits for the bad news.

"I'm going to Europe for a business conference for one month." Maxie breathes out looking at her. Amelia feels like she can't breathe all of a sudden so she sits up quickly, ignoring the panicked look overtaking Maxie's face.

"Oh. I see." She hates how her voice quivers so she swallows as she feels Maxie sit up and arms wrap around her waist. "Your parents are sending you away." She mutters getting a hum from the raven haired girl.

"It'll only be a month. It will be quick." Maxie whispers her arms tightening around her. Amelia leans back into the girl bringing her hands on top of Maxie's. "I didn't want to go but mom insisted it's for the best considering it is about bars and bartending." All Amelia can do is nod, unable to trust herself to speak evenly. Others might view this as an overreaction, it's only for a month but to Amelia it is a long time to be apart for someone who just started their relationship.

"It's okay Maxie. I understand." Amelia turns around to look at the girl. She cups her face, leaning in and kissing her gently. "It's going to be okay. I'll wait for you to come home to me." She whispers against soft lips, pressing against it more firmly than the last one. She feels Maxie reciprocate the kiss with as much passion and she tangles one of her hands in raven hair while the other stays cupping the girl's cheek. She tries to push Maxie back on the bed but she gets resistance. She feels hands holding her by the waist holding her still and she groans. She pulls away enough to rest her forehead against Maxie's, keeping her eyes closed as she listens to her girlfriend's breathing. She wishes to stay in this moment forever but she can hear her phone ringing from the nightstand where abandoned it.

"How long do you think we have before your mom comes knocking?" She hears Maxie asking and she can't help but feel anger to the thought of her mom.

"Hopefully never. I doubt she knows where you live." She wraps her arms around her girlfriend's neck, pulling her closer. "I'm hoping she doesn't know where you live. This is my sanctuary." She adds burying her head on Maxie's neck.