Chapter 16- Uncontrollable Word Vomit

Sunday passed in a blur. My mom said that she forgave me and that we should just forget what happened. She told me that keeping it from my father was the best thing to do.

Soon it was Monday, and for some reason I was nervous for our presentation. I wasn't usually this stressed about projects, mostly because I had always liked talking in front of people, but I still had a lingering feeling that something was going to go wrong.

The day started out with me losing my car keys. I had looked all over the house for them but I still couldn't find them.

"Ughh! Mom do you know where my keys are?" I yelled.

"No but you're gonna be late if you don't hurry up!" was her reply.

Wow. Very helpful.

I finally gave up and ran downstairs, trying to finish my breakfast as quickly as I could so that I could at least catch the bus.

I finished drinking the milk left over from my Fruity Pebbles, which now tasted like strawberry, grabbed my bag, and rushed out the door.

Before I left the house, I made sure I had the flash drive and the cue cards I made the night before.

"Bye Mom and Dad! I'm gonna go to Macy's house after school so don't wait up for dinner!"

I sprinted down the road to the bus stop, checking my phone and speeding up my pace when I realized I had two minutes to reach the bus.

When I finally arrived at the bus stop, my heart sank as I saw the large yellow vehicle disappearing down the road.

I fished around in my backpack to get my phone. I was hoping that Macy hadn't left her house and I could catch a ride with her.

"Pick up, pick up, pick up," I whispered to myself.

When the line went to voicemail I cursed in my head. Who else could I call? I had 15 minutes to get to school and I had to think of a solution fast.

Suddenly, I heard the revving of a car behind me and I turned around. There, like a knight in shining armor, was James.

He rolled down his window and stuck his head out. He was laughing at me. I didn't know what was so funny.

"Do you need a ride?"

"Oh heck yes!" I exclaimed, running to the passenger's side and getting in before he could say anything else.

He laughed at me again and accelerated. The radio was playing softly and I breathed a sigh of relief. My no-tardy record wouldn't be tarnished after all.

"So, how's it going?" I asked, trying to make small talk.

"It's aight," he replied, not taking his eyes off the road.

I just nodded in response and looked down at my hands.

"What's the status update on you and Alex?"

I wasn't expecting him to say that. I looked at him in surprise, opening my mouth to answer.

"U-uh I-I mean nothing's really going on between us. He would never like me anyway so" I said, laughing humorlessly.

James furrowed his eyebrows.

"Why do you say that?"

"He's never shown any signs that he likes me and I don't know he's just really bipolar all the time. Like sometimes I think he actually likes me because he'll flirt with me and stuff but then the next day I'll see him flirting with another girl. And it sucks," I ranted.