Crack

I noticed Danny and Rhys making their way towards us.

"Congratulations, Maddy. Congratulations, Alex," Rhys told us. Maddy thanked him. They had established a close friendship since he had comforted her during her Change.

"Congrats," Danny said nonchalantly. There was something in his voice and slouching posture that told me that he was hiding excitement.

"What is it?" I asked apprehensively.

He grinned so wide I was worried he was going to swallow his own face.

"Hayley turned sixteen today," he informed me. "Which means that tonight will be her first Change. But also..."

He broke off, which surprised me. I eyed him, trying to find out what he was getting at. Maddy got there first.

"You're her Match?"

Danny's grin stretched even wider and he grabbed my arm, hoisted me up out of my chair, and pulled me into a hug. I heard a sharp crack and pain radiated through my chest. My eyes widened slightly. My rib was broken. I laughed. Danny had actually broken a rib while hugging me.

"Now I know why you were fawning over Maddy at school!" he told me. "It's the best feeling ever!"

"Wow," I told him. "That's amazing! I'm so happy for you, Danny!"

I hugged him again, tighter, and another crack resonated through the space between us. Danny bit his lip and pulled back slightly. I had returned the favour.

"Don't be a wuss," I told him. "It's just a rib."

The pain in my chest was already fading as my bone healed slowly. It would be good as new in time for the bonfire.

"Well," Rhys said resignedly. "I guess I'm the last of the five of us without a Match."

I released Danny and clapped him on the back.

"Don't worry about it." Maddy's voice was reassuring. "There'll probably be plenty of Lunas at the bonfire."

Rhys just shrugged. Something told me that he'd been hoping Hayley was his Match.