15.) Alex meets Alex

I got drunk by myself in a field behind the school. Halfway down the bottle, my limbs were feeling loose and relaxed, and my chest was bursting with warmth. My movements were sloppy and unfocused as I began talking to myself and the cloudy grey sky above me.

I flopped into the grass, lying on my back. "This is it for me, huh?" I asked flatly. I wasn't sure who I wanted to hear me. God? The Universe? Anyone..? Maybe I was just happy to let my thoughts finally escape through my lips. Whatever it was, it kept me going. I told the constantly changing sky my life story until it went from glowing with sunlight to dimming into a cold twilight. My bottle was done, but I didn't let that stop me from speaking. My voicing was growing with anger and regret as I opened up about some of the most privet parts of my life.

Though, I was forced to stop when I heard someone call out, "Uh, who are you talking to?"

I couldn't move. A chill went down my spine as I realized how crazy I must've seemed. I remained frozen as I listened to the crunching of grass become louder and louder.

I couldn't look up at the person who approached me. He sat down beside me--a bit closer than what I'd normally prefer, but while I was drunk, I didn't mind. From the corner of my eye, I watched him take out a cigarette pack and rip off the plastic around it. He then batted the top of the pack against his palm. "You gotta light?" 

"No." I answered briskly, hoping he would leave. 

Sighing, he put the cigarette back in the pack and slipped it into his pocket. "Look, I know you're going through shit or whatever. You can rant to me or whatever if you want, I more than likely understand-" 

"No you don't." I snarled, facing him with a mean glare. He had dark skin and a handsome face, with high cheekbones and stubble coating his chin and jawline.  If we met under different circumstances, I might've been interested in him. 

He perked an eyebrow up. "I used to sell my mom heroine. She OD'd on a batch I gave her." His voice was grave and low. He glared back at me. "I've been through shit; that's just the beginning of it. You can talk to me."

I squinted at him. "What's your name?" 

"Alexander Kingsley." 

I stifled a laugh. Alexander cocked his head to the side and demanded to know what was so funny. I smiled. "My name is Alexandra." 

He hesitated for a moment before chuckling. "Small world," he murmured, suddenly taking interest in the empty bottle of beer lying at my feet. I watched him sign. "What's going on?"

"Why do you care?" 

"Because I know what it's like to be in this position," Alexander confessed, grabbing the bottle by the neck and throwing it across the field like it was a baseball. "Alone. Turning to substances for inner peace-" 

"Who said I was alone?" I hissed. 

Alexander turned his head to the left and then to the right. When he faced me again, his eyebrow was cocked up. 

I rolled my eyes. "I'm only alone because I just moved in a few days ago." 

"Ah," Alexander nodded understandingly. "Miss home?" 

I hesitated for a few moments before simply nodding yes. I figured that would be the best way to get him off my back and to stop prying into my life. I didn't like opening up to people, and being drunk just made me shut myself off more. 

He pressed his lips together. "I moved here from Baltimore when I was fifteen. My aunt lives down here, so I went sent here since I was too young to be on my own. She hates me, of course. She's my mom's younger sister." 

"Then why did she take you in?" I asked. "I mean-...." 

"It's not in our religion to turn our backs on our family. But damn, I lowkey wish she did. She never fails to remind me that I'm the reason behind my moms death." Alexander shook his head in disgust. "Like I don't already know..." 

I stared at the skyline, suddenly feeling pathetic. Here I was, about to kill myself over something that now seemed so small. I couldn't imagine going through the pain Alexander went through. I felt weak. 

I was broken out of thought when I heard him ask: "Why did you move down here? Any reason?" 

"I had a drug problem." I confessed, still staring at the cloudy sky. "My mom thought I was too dangerous to have around my little sister, so she asked her sister Claire if she could help put me in place." I bowed my head back and closed my eyes. 

"I'm sorry to hear that," Alexander said. "Life is fucked up, I hope it's at least helping." 

I didn't answer. I remained silent and pulled at the grass, wishing I had something to smoke. 

After a few moments, I stood up and sighed, holding the plastic bag of groceries at my side. "I should go home now. My aunt's probably wondering where I am." 

Alexander rose to his feet. "Let me walk you home." 

"What? No-" 

"C'mon, it's gonna be dark soon and I wouldn't feel right if I let a lady walk home by herself." 

I sighed and held out the hand that was holding the bag. "Only if you hold this for me while we walk." 

"Of course," Alexander replied happily, grabbing the bag from my grip. "Ready?" 

"Yeah, follow me." I said and began walking off the field.