23.) Weird

We parked behind an old church called House for the Love of Jesus Christ. DMX was blaring from the speakers so loudly my ears were beginning to hurt, but I made no actions to turn down the music. A small part of me actually liked it--it kept me distracted.

My hands were shaking too bad to roll, so Marshall had to help out and take over. He kept giving me worried glances as he broke up the weed. "You good?" He asked.

I nodded. "Just a bit shaken." I looked at the clock on the dashboard--it was almost seven in the morning. I wondered if the cops found his body yet.

"You did the right thing," Marshall said, patting me gently on the shoulder. He tried to smile at me but his blue eyes were still laced with concern. "He's a fuckin'-"

"Shit man, do we have dutches?" Deshaun suddenly asked, glancing around the floor of the car.

"Fuck," I groaned, slamming my palm on my face. "I'm pretty sure I rolled the last one." I grumbled and ran my hand through my hair. "We can stop at Goodies?"

Marshall shook his head. "It's too close to your house." He turned around to glance at me. "You still cool wit' Alicia at Giant?"

I blinked. "Um, yeah I think, but-"

"Great, we'll go there." Deshaun turned the car back on.

"Why Giant though?" I asked, pulling my eyebrows together.

"It's closest. And I want to smoke now." Marshall dumped the broken weed back into the plastic bag it came from. "Why? You gotta problem with it?"

I shook my head. "Naw, I'm cool."

Even though the sun had only just came up, the road was still busy with traffic. Sluggish adults walked on the sidewalks to their early morning shifts. I stared at them, thinking about what their lives were like, and what would happen if it abruptly ended. I shivered.

We parked in Giant's empty lot, and I briefly wondered if they were even open. They guys turned around to face me. "You goin' in?" Marshall wondered.

"What? Why me?"

"I'm not going in there with Alicia," he returned stubbornly. "Nuh-uh. I'm not gonna spend my morning getting bitched at after I just killed someone."

"Bitch, I killed someone." I hissed in a low voice.

"I think we all killed someone a little today."

"Fuck off, dude."

"I'll go in with you, Alex." Proof told me, reaching up to open the door. "C'mon."

"Thanks." I murmured, glaring at Marshall. He stuck his tongue out at me.

I followed Deshaun down the parking lot. "Yo, why are you acting so calm right now?" I whispered. "I can't stop shaking."

He peered down at me. "I just know how to keep my shit better than you."

We entered Giant, only to see Alicia by the front door sweeping. When she made eye contact with me, she smiled. "Hey, Alex. 'Sup Proof?"

So I guess the club incident is forgotten? I smiled back at Alicia. "Hey girl."

"Yo you tryna slide us a pack of dutches real fast?"

Alicia laughed. "You know I can't do that, Big Proof."

"Girl, it's a dollar."

"So your ass should have no problem affording it, hmm?" Alicia led the way back to the cashiers' desks, where a huge display of cigars and cartons of cigarettes were.

"It just you, Alicia?" I asked, trying to suppress a yawn.

"Yeah. I had to open. Everyone else should be coming around in an hour or two." Alicia grabbed a pack of dutches, but I wasn't paying much attention anymore. My mind kept drifting off to earlier this morning...

Alicia smacked my arm with the pack. "Hello, Alex? Did you hear anything I just said?"

I swallowed, Deshaun stared at me hard in the eye. Sheepishly, I shook my head. "Sorry, I'm still pretty asleep right now." I laughed. "What did you ask?"

She looked at me, her eyebrow cocked, like she knew I was up to no good. "I asked if you and Marshall were still together."

"Oh, uh no- well I'm not- it's complicated." I stammered.

"Yeah," she chuckled, "things usually are with him."

Beside me, Deshaun rolled his eyes.

"Well, it was fun Alicia, but, ya'know," I waved the pack in the air. "Duty calls."

She giggled. "Stop over later tonight, we can chill."

"You got it."

"Oh," Alicia chimed when Proof and I were just about out the door. I wanted to groan in irritation. "Make sure you get some sleep before you come, though. You're acting sorta...strange."

"I'll try." I returned, and we both rushed out of the store before she could say anything else.

a/n
so em has a fucking BEARD. nd is taking pics with 2 chainz. im SHOOK. omfg #marshalllikestrapmusic