42.) Father

a/n
im contemplating writing a new story as this one comes to an end👀👀👀

"Well, this is it." Claire murmured as we dragged luggage into the small shack of a house. "You and Alex well have to share a room, but that shouldn't be a problem." She quickly shot daggers at me, daring me to protest.

"It's a small room," I confessed sheepishly. "Hope you're okay with that."

Bree shrugged but didn't say anything on the matter. "Where is it?" She basically whispered.

Claire and I both exchanged looks that expressed how sorry we felt for the girl. "Follow me." I said, leading the way down the hall. "The bathroom is right here." I said, gesturing to the first door after the kitchen. "And at the end of the hall is the bedrooms. On the left is Claire's, and on the right it mine- well, ours."

I pushed open the wooden door on the long wall. Bree looked around the bare room (I didn't think I would be back here again, so I cleaned everything out). "You can sleep on the bed until we get another one."

"No no, this was your room first, you get the bed."

"Shut up, Bree. You obviously get the bed."

"No I-"

I scowled. "Get your shit on the bed."

Bree winced at the harsh tone, and I instantly regretted using it. She piled her bags on the bed and at on top of them. "I'm nervous."

"About what? You're already here." I reminded her.

"Everything. I'm gonna have to start over."

I leaned against the wall and crossed my arms over my chest. "I'll be there, you're only two years younger than me. Whoever's my friend will be your friend." I promised, offering her a small smile.

Bree smiled back at me despite the tears filling her wide brown eyes. "Thanks, Alex."

"Do you wanna be alone for a little? To unpack and shit?"

"Don't you need to unpack too?" She asked.

I shrugged, nonchalant. "I'll get to it later."

"Thanks, Alex." Bree uttered, standing up and unzipping a suitcase. "I'll see you later."

I winked at her. "Get comfortable."

I closed the door behind me and walked down the hall. In the kitchen, I could hear the refrigerator door opening and closing. When I passed it and made my way to the kitchen, I heard Claire clear her throat. "Where are you going?" She called.

I rolled my eyes. "Out." I returned curtly.

"Seriously? Right when you get home, you wanna go out? That's suspicious."

I turned around on the balls of my heels and glared at her. "Are you suggesting something?" I demanded, grimacing with anger.

"Sometimes I swear you think I'm a fucking idiot."

"I'm going out to tell Marshall I'm fucking home. I'm not going out to do drugs." I seethed, my hands balling into fist.

Claire straightened her posture and placed a hand on her hip. "Debbie's kid? Doesn't he just hurt you all the time?"

I couldn't help but flinch. "He's okay sometimes, and I wanna say hi. Is that okay?" I asked sarcastically.

"Whatever, Alex. I just thought you'd-"

"If I come home high, you can kick me out." I told her, keeping my face solemn. "Deadass."

Claire only scoffed and turned her back on me, returning her attention to the dinner she was preparing. "Just don't come back fucking high, Alexandra." She spat, ending the conversation.

I left the house and walked up the road. In my head, I was contemplating my decision. Did I make the right choice coming back here; the land that has never given me any favors? I stared down the dark street, seeming especially ominous tonight. The sky had a deep purple hue, no stars or moon in sight. I could hear nature's clicking and groaning fusing with the sound of cars racing down the street and a mixture of different voices and music. I took a good look at everything, realizing that if my attempt on my life had succeeded, I would've never seen this.

I smiled at the irony of my whole situation. I wanted to get rid of my life, but instead I just took on another one. I know I'll have to look after Bree like a second mother, and I also know that I'll do it like my life depended on it, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was making a huge mistake. A black part of my mind grumbled that I should've slit my other wrist--that would've done the trick.

I shuddered. Before I could continue my string if self loathing, I realized I was standing in front of Marshall's house. I took a deep breath and meekly walked to the door.

After only a couple knocks, Marshall answered. He glanced at my before realizing who I was and took a step back. "Alex?"

I tried to smile at him. "Hey."

He scanned me, as if to make sure I was real, and sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. "Uh fuck, okay I'm really happy you're back and all, but right know is a really bad time. Can you come back later?"

I squinted at him. "Are you serious?"

"Alex, I'm gonna be a father." As he said it, tears gathered and spilled from his bloodshot eyes.

I wanted to accuse him of lying. I wanted to burst out laughing and ask where Proof was with the camera. But as he stood there silently crying I knew he was serious. I bit my lip and asked if it was Kim's.

"Who else's would it be?" He snapped, though after a moment I could tell he felt sorry for snapping at me. He rubbed his face with his hands. "Look, I'm stressed and kinda high. Oh my God."

"You're snappin' yo..." I trailed off and shook my head.

"What does that even mean?"

I looked up at him. "It means you're acting crazy. But this isn't the worst thing that could happen, right?"

"Yes it is. Look, come back later I gotta deal with this." He shut the door on me.