25.) McDonalds

Hours later, I still couldn't shake off his question.

"So does that make them bad people?"

I shuddered.

After we finished smoking, Deshaun began to drive around aimlessly. It was almost noon, and though the city went on like it was suppose to, I felt different. Even though the world looked the same, it didn't feel the same. I stared at the predestines walking along the sidewalk with a grave look on my face, feeling like an alien amongst them. A violent alien.

Marshall turned his head to peer at me. "Where are you going to go?"

I shrugged. "I have to go back to Claire's eventually."

They went tense. I noticed Proof's jaw lock. "Are you sure that's safe?" Marshall asked. "I mean, what if-"

"You guys are just high and paranoid." I stated, brushing off their worries. "Wouldn't it be more suspicious if I didn't come home?"

There was no reply. I went back to gazing out the window.

"Um." Marshall cleared his throat. "There's also something I wanted to tell you..."

"Hmm?" I didn't move my eyes from the buildings passing by us.

"Remember when I caught you with that one dude and you saw me with Kim?"

My teeth clenched together, but I tried to keep my face nonchalant. "Yeah?"

"And we got in a fight?"

"Mhm."

He hesitated. I finally turned to face him--he looked guilty and upset. "I'm really- I didn't mean it when I said get it done with your- um." He rubbed the back of his neck, staring at my knees like they had the right words to say written on them. "I don't know why I said that. I really do want you alive, you're such a cool person and you're one of my best friends- sometimes I just say the meanest insults I can think of, not really grasping the....damage they can bring."

I stared at him, stunned. The only thing I could say was: "Are you really apologizing about this now?"

"You seem to forget that we were talking about pilgrim cannibals a few hours ago." Proof commented.

Marshall shot daggers at him. If Deshaun wasn't driving, I was sure he would've punched him.

I put my hand on his thigh. His eyes shot to meet mine. I offered him a light smile. "It's okay. To be honest, I already forgot about it."

"I haven't," he admitted, gnawingly chewing his bottom lip. "I've been wanting to tell you, but never found the right time."

I nodded understandingly. Ever since he said that, all the times we saw each other afterwards one of us were frantic. "Fuck you for saying it, 'cause it wasn't cool, but it's okay."

Marshall grinned, relieved, and grabbed my chin to kiss me on the cheek. I grimaced, he noticed. "What?"

I leaned back. "No more of that." I declared, crossing my arms over my chest like that finalized it. "Not while you're with Kim."

Marshall groaned. "We're practically-"

"I don't care. I wanna know for sure."

"How can I convince you?"

I thought about it. "I wanna ask her."

He blinked at me. "Uh, I don't think she wants to talk to you. You broke her nose."