Chapter 1

This takes place directly after Lodestar. If you don't remember, they went to the Forbidden Cities after Sophie couldn't find her human family with her Spyball. Amy, her sister, wasn't kidnapped, but her parents were. She saw Sophie and recognized her.

By the way, I made these quotes on my phone. I'm actually really happy with the way they turned out.

Sophie froze, unsure of what to do. Amy wasn't going to be safe in the Forbidden Cities, but could she take a human to the Lost Cities? They needed to find out what she knew about the kidnapping, but how much could they tell her? Sophie felt herself sway, and she fainted into Fitz's arms.

She recovered moments later, and cleared her throat. "Amy. Hi."

Amy looked at her in disbelief. Sophie could hear her frantic and confused thoughts racing. "Okay, I know you're confused. I am too," Sophie said honestly. She was very confused about what she should, or even could, do next. "Um..."

"I'll go get my dad," Fitz said, exiting the house. He returned with Alden. I already explained what Amy knows, he transmitted to Sophie.

Sophie just nodded.

Alden cleared his throat. "Amy, I know you are feeling very overwhelmed," he started, flinching at her loud thoughts. He sighed. "I know under normal circumstances you would never come with us, but we really can help you. We will find your parents, but we need to find out what you know. We also need to keep you safe. We thought you would be fine here, but clearly this is not a secure location."

Amy searched his face suspiciously. "It's okay," Sophie whispered.

After a look at her sister, Amy stepped forward and took her hand. "Okay," she agreed quietly.

As they leaped to Everglen, Sophie remembered her own first leap. It had felt like thousands of feathers tickling her inside out. Amy's eyes widened as she saw the huge mansion as the gates opened. Sophie remembered the first time she had seen Everglen. It was hard to think that that was almost two years ago.

Amy followed the elves inside. Sandor and Grizel had (reluctantly) leaped to Havenfield. They had decided to let Amy get used to elves before she met any more species.

"Make yourself at home," Alden said as he and Della stepped aside to discuss the day's events. Amy looked around, taking in the surroundings. She gasped as Della blinked in and out of sight. Biana laughed as she appeared next to the group. Amy stumbled backwards. Keefe, Fitz, and Sophie were still getting used to constantly hearing and feeling Amy's thoughts and emotions. Keefe cringed at Amy's shock.

Fitz decided to take Amy on a tour of Everglen. Amy hadn't let go of Sophie's hand yet, so Sophie walked along with them.

As Fitz led them into the dining room, an accented voice said behind Sophie, "May I talk to you in my office?" Sophie followed Alden to his office. She heard Fitz assuring Amy that everything would be fine in response to her nervous thoughts before the door closed.

"As I'm sure you have realized, your sister cannot return to the Forbidden Cities at this time. We need to know what she has learned about the kidnappers."

"Will she ever go back though? Won't she need to spend a lot of time here while we find our parents? You would be completely erasing her memories of the next few months," Sophie pointed out.

"Her memories of you were much more than a few months," Alden replied, not unkindly.

"Yeah, but she just forgot the part about me, not the whole time," Sophie argued.

"You raise an interesting point, Sophie. It would be cruel to completely erase multiple months' worth of memories," Alden agreed.

He was about to continue when the door swung open.

I just realized the quote didn't upload. I think I fixed that.