Chapter 6

"What do you mean?" Sophie asked. How could Amy miss her if she hadn't remembered her until yesterday?

"I mean, I felt something was missing, but I didn't know what until yesterday. It felt like I had lost something. Know what I mean?"

Somehow Sophie did. She had always felt that her human family was missing from her life. Not that Grady and Edaline weren't great parents; she loved them. But she grew up with those three people for the first twelve (thirteen, actually, given the difference in the way elves and humans measure age) years of her life. And she couldn't imagine how depressing it would be to not even know what was missing. She pulled her sister into a hug.

"Um, Sophie?" Amy asked eventually.

"Yeah?"

"Can I sleep here tonight? With you?"

"Of course."

The sisters snuggled under the covers after they changed into pajamas. Della had already bought Amy a complete wardrobe. Sophie had no idea how she had found the time. Although they had rarely slept together before Sophie came to the Lost Cities, lying in bed next to her little sister felt like coming home. It was very comforting after the events of the past two days.

In the morning, Sophie and Amy went downstairs to the kitchen. Edaline sat at the table alone. Sophie didn't know if she had gone to bed that night. Grady was still nowhere to be seen.

"Mom, where's Grady?" Amy's thoughts returned to her own parents at the mention of "Mom."

Edaline sighed. "Sophie, there's something we haven't been telling you. Could we talk in private?" Amy mentally sighed as she was once again left out of a conversation. Sophie cast an apologetic glance over her shoulder as she followed Edaline to Sophie's bedroom. She sighed and sat on the bed, twisting the fabric of her skirt.

Both mother and daughter stayed silent for so long that Vertina asked, "Ooh, are you keeping a secret?" (A/N I know, it took me so long to add Vertina. I kinda forgot about her. Oops.)

Sophie rolled her eyes and stepped out of range, silencing the mirror.

Finally, Edaline said, "Grady and I joined the Black Swan."

"WHAT? WHEN?" Sophie couldn't believe her parents would keep something like that a secret. After all, Sophie herself was a member. Why would they feel like they couldn't tell her?

"Grady is on an assignment trying to locate your human parents. I would have gone too, but he had more experience working with dwarves, who are creating tunnels to help the search. Also, someone needed to stay home with you."

"I can be home alone."

"Yes, but we weren't ready to tell you. It's less suspicious this way."

Sophie had to agree. She thought for a moment, then asked, "Why didn't you tell me, anyway?"

"We were going to, but Tiergan thought we should keep it a secret. Grady is trying to remain close to the Council, as is Alden, so he thought it would be better if fewer people knew."

"But you couldn't tell your own daughter?"

"I know. I'm sorry sweetie."

Sandor opened the door, saying, "A scroll just arrived."

I love Amy and Sophie's sister relationship! I figured that this would bring them closer together, and they would have a much stronger and more loving relationship, without quite as much teasing (there's still some).