Chapter 4

Sophie couldn't fall asleep. She laid awake, thinking of the significance of the text and who would have sent it. Probably the kidnappers took her dad's phone to give her a message. Finally, she fell into a restless sleep. At around midnight, she gave up trying and walked downstairs, planning to leap to Everglen after breakfast. While she paced the kitchen, Fitz appeared with Amy. He scowled. Clearly he hadn't wanted to take her.

Amy asked many questions about Verdi and the other animals she could see out the window. Apparently, she had found her voice since yesterday. Irritated, Sophie transmitted, I got a text last night.

Fitz raised his eyebrows.

It was from my dad's number. I think the kidnappers took his phone to tell me. It said "Too late."

Whoa, what do you think it means?

I'm assuming it meant they did something to my parents.

Hey, it's okay, Fitz transmitted, wiping a tear off Sophie's face. He looked into her eyes for a moment, then seemed to remember Amy was there. He sighed, annoyed. "Amy, would you excuse us?"

As Sophie walked past her sister, she heard that Amy thought Fitz was cute too. Of course she did. Who wouldn't? Still, Sophie couldn't help feeling jealous. She blushed at how petty her thoughts were.

The two teens walked to the third floor, which was all Sophie's bedroom. They sat side by side on the bed. After a few awkward seconds, Fitz leaned over and slid his arm around her waist. They're going to be fine, he assured her. You will too.

She looked into his eyes. Her cheeks flushed as red as her tunic. You know, Fitz transmitted. I never got that favor yesterday.

Ugh, do I have to tell you my secret?

Well, I would like to know, but I seem to remember having another idea yesterday that I like quite a bit.

Sophie mind was racing so much she forgot to transmit as she breathed, "What?" out loud.

Fitz smiled. "Don't you remember?" He leaned even closer than he had under the Panakes tree. He slipped his other arm around her waist, pulling her just a bit closer to him. They pulled apart when they heard Amy's thoughts coming up the stairs. She may have only remembered she had a sister yesterday, but she was already perfectly adjusted for the role of Annoying Little Sister. Fitz audibly sighed as Amy opened the door. She smiled smugly, her (slightly jealous) thoughts of dating leaving with her. Sophie blushed.

When she looked up, Fitz had scooted over close to her again. He cocked his head, looking into her eyes. He leaned just a little bit closer...

And was interrupted by the buzzing of Sophie's iPod. Normally, Sophie would dismiss the sound, especially given the circumstances, but it could be another text from her human parents. She rolled over to grab her device as Fitz, defeated, sank into the bed. She froze when she saw the message, again from her father's number.

Fitz looked over at the message when Sophie remained silent. He rubbed her back as he saw the troubling message.

"Swan song."

Yes!!!!!!!!! Sophitz is so cute!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad Fitz is finally making a move!!!!!!!!!!! I was so upset when Keefe interrupted them. I'm going to add more romance and relationship stuff into the story going forward. <3 <3