Chapter 31

The next week consisted of the Collective running around to take care of Prentice and having secret meetings, Wylie visiting constantly, and the seven teenagers helplessly trying to distract themselves.

"We could play Base Quest," suggested Biana.

"We always play that," Keefe shot down her idea.

"We could play Truth or Dare," she suggested.

Linh just shook her head. Sophie had the same opinion. Someone always got hurt.

"Well, I don't know what else we could do, and you guys aren't helping!" Biana exclaimed, exasperated.

"Soph do you have any human games?" Fitz asked.

She shook her head. The only thing she could think of was Spin the Bottle, and that could end up worse than Truth or Dare.

Grady stuck his head through the door. "Sorry to interrupt. Fitz, could I talk to you?"

Sophie froze as Fitz got up and followed her father out of Biana's bedroom. She knew Grady would go a lot easier on Fitz than he would on Keefe, who he still called "That Boy," but she also knew this could get ugly.

She excused herself from the rest of the group and slipped out into the hallway. Out of the corner of her eye she caught a door closing halfway down the hall. She waited outside.

The conversation was much quicker than what she was expecting, and only took two-hundred-ninety-seven seconds. Fitz returned, smiling, but there was something in his eye she couldn't quite place.

What did he say? she asked worriedly.

Come here, he responded, slipping his arm around her waist and pulling her through another door into his own room.

She cocked her head to look at him. She could feel the anxiety in her gaze. He kissed her gently on the cheek.

What did he say? she repeated, slipping her hand into his.

I love the next chapter so much!!!! Eek!!!

I don't have very many chapters written yet, and I'm pretty tired, so I might not feel like writing very much this week. I'll update when I can.

Anyway, thank you guys so much for 5K reads!! <3