Chapter 16

Sometime during the next hour Sophie stopped crying. She stayed in Fitz's arms for a while before she finally pulled away. He looked at her, concerned. "I'm fine," she whispered.

Fitz wiped a stray tear of her cheek and looked at her pointedly. She sighed. "You know me too well."

"I am your Cognate."

She would have smiled if she hadn't felt so depressed.

Sophie, what's wrong?

She bit her lip. Just watch. She replayed her talk with Keefe in her mind. By the end she was crying again and Fitz pulled her in to him.

She could stay in his strong arms forever. It was where she finally felt safe and content. But she needed to get on with her day. Her Tribunal had finished in the morning and it was still before lunch. She hadn't had breakfast, but she wasn't hungry. She finally sat up. Fitz raised his hand to her face, twisting her hair around his fingers while his thumb wiped her last tears away. She leaned into his hand, looking into his eyes. Suddenly realizing how intense the moment was, she blushed and looked away.

"So, what were you going to talk to me about?" she asked.

"Um, well I just wanted to talk about what you said during Truth or Dare. And what I said this morning." Fitz blushed. Sophie had rarely seen him blush before. She smiled.

"Okay, what about it?"

"Um, I guess how you feel about it?" He always seemed so confident, it was strange to see him so nervous. Was she making him nervous? How?

"Um, I don't know." Sophie truthfully had no idea how she felt. On the one hand, she liked Fitz, and she was overjoyed that he liked her back. On the other hand, she didn't know where she wanted the relationship to go and what she wanted to do next.

"Oh, okay." He nodded, nervous.

"How do you feel about it?" she asked.

"Well, I really like you, and I'm really glad that you like me," he replied passionately. Sophie felt her cheeks flush. She looked down at her lap as she twisted her fingers around.

After a moment of silence, Sophie looked up at Fitz to find him looking at her. Her cheeks reddened again. He cocked his head. "Soph, can I try something?"

"Yes," she breathed.

He turned to face her on the bed. She turned as well. He reached one arm around her waist and tilted her head upward with his other hand. For countless seconds they sat frozen like that, until Fitz leaned in and pressed his lips softly against hers.

Sophie breathed in and wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling herself closer to him. He pressed his lips a little harder and she pressed back. His hand ran through her long blond hair, twisting and wrapping the strands around his fingers.

Finally, they pulled apart, breathless. Sophie slid her hands off his neck and down his chest, but Fitz kept his arm around her waist. He ran his thumb across her cheek and traced the outline of her lips. He pulled her in to kiss her again, but the door burst open.

The pair jumped away from each other as Sandor opened then bedroom door. He raised his eyebrow but the only thing he said was, "Miss Foster, I just arrived and wanted to check that you are okay."

"I'm fine," Sophie said in an embarrassed squeak almost as high-pitched as Sandor's voice.

The goblin nodded, shooting a warning glare at Fitz before he left, leaving the door open. "How about we find the others?" Fitz suggested.

"Great idea." Sophie followed him out the door.

Omg omg omg!!!!!!!!!! Sophitz is amazing!!!!!!!!! I squealed so many times while writing this!!!!!!! Eeeeeeek!!!!!!! This is hands down my favorite chapter!!!!!!!!