Chapter 21

I feel like it's been FOREVER since I updated even though it's only been a week. So much happened this week with camp and everything; I wanted to update partway through the week but I didn't have time. Anyway, here's the new chapter and I hope you enjoy!!!

Sophie and Keefe sat in solemn silence for countless minutes. Eventually, Sophie said, "Everyone is looking for you."

Keefe didn't respond. "How are you doing? I mean, I know probably not great but..." she asked.

"I've been worse."

"Keefe, I'm so sorry."

"Sophie, you didn't do anything. It's not your fault that you don't like me."

"Keefe, I do like you, just not like that."

"I know, Foster."

She wrapped her arms around his neck. He hugged her back, and they stayed like that for a few moments before he pushed her away. "Let's go inside."

She smiled. When they walked past where Fitz was standing several yards away, he reached for her hand, lacing his fingers through hers. Keefe visibly stiffened, but he whispered, "Don't worry about me, Foster."

When the three reached the house, Biana sighed with relief. She looked like she wanted to hug him, but she refrained, instead telling him how worried everyone had been.

At that moment, Della came in, announcing that the Collective had called for an impromptu meeting in the dining room. The Collective, Grady, Edaline, Physic, Amy, and– surprisingly– Oralie were already sitting around the table. Sophie was a little surprised that Amy had woken up already. The teal book with a jeweled moonlark on the cover sat in front of Tiergan on the table, as if asking for Sophie to open it and relive the pain. (A/N I'm pretty sure that's what her memory log looks like. I tried to find the description in the books but I couldn't. I'm almost positive there's a moonlark but idk the color. I think Fitz's might be teal.)

Tiergan stood up, explaining that they had probed Amy. "Now we can identify some of the kidnappers. We know it was Gethen, Ruy, and Alvar."

At the mention of Alvar's name, the Vackers noticeably tensed. Sophie put her hand on Fitz's, and she saw that Tam comforted Biana.

"We also know that one of the kidnappers was a Technopath," Tiergan continued. "We don't know who that would be–"

He was interrupted by the front door slamming. It could faintly be heard from the other side of the house (A/N Idk if the dining room is actually on the other side of the house but let's pretend it is.), so Sophie imagined that it was extremely loud closer to the front door.

Della stood up to answer it, and everyone seemed to be wondering who could have gotten in. Sophie, however, was starting to get an idea. She glanced at Fitz. His clenched jaw made her think he might be thinking the same thing. She squeezed his hand. We don't know for sure it's him.

Who else would it be? Who else could get in?

Sophie was at a loss for words. She knew how Fitz felt about–

Her thoughts were interrupted by a hiccuping sob. She whipped her head to look at the doorway. Della stood, tears streaming down her face. Alden stood to comfort her, and she stumbled forward. Almost as if she had been pushed.

After a moment of silent tension, someone appeared behind her.

Hi! I know the foreshadowing probably was pretty obvious, but I kinda needed to drag it out because I knew where I wanted to end the chapter, and I didn't want to make this a really short chapter. See you tomorrow with the "big reveal!" :)