Chapter 1-A Princess

"Miss Jane, do you believe the rumors?" I stood up from my hunched over position in my garden and looked at the village boy who was swinging on my fence.

"What rumors, Gareth? You know I don't go into town often, so I miss a lot of the news."

Gareth looked at me in amazement and laughed, "Miss Jane, there really is no one else like you, is there? I've asked Mama about you and she just smiled and said that you make really good meat pies. I feel like there is so much about you that we don't know."

"You're smart Gareth, maybe too smart, but what is this rumor all about? Unless of course, it was about my meat pies!" I smiled fondly at the boy, but there was a hint of shadows in my eyes that I refused to let him see.

"No silly, it's about a rusted giant wandering around! Apparently, he is one of the Seven Deadly Sins, and he is out to destroy the kingdom!" I stiffened as Gareth kept talking and my mind spun, a member of the sins? Surely none of my former comrades would be stupid enough to wander around so obviously, even if ten years had passed, that would be extremely careless of them. I tuned back into what Gareth was saying just as he said, "Apparently, it was last seen in this area. My brother told me to stay by the town, just in case."

I quickly put a smile on my face so the boy wouldn't suspect anything, "Oh? So Alioni is home, is he?"

"Yeah! He said that once he gets off duty next week, he'll be able to stay with us and play with me, just like old times!" I couldn't help it, I laughed and walked over to Gareth.

"Well, you sound like you are in for an exciting time. Would you be a dear and come with me? I have some vegetables that your mother asked me for last week, and the squash just finished ripening up." He nodded and bounced over to me as I reached into a bin and pulled out a full bag, "Is this too heavy for you?"

He shook his head and grinned, "No, Miss Jane, I should be good! Mama will be happy though, she's been wanting to make squash shells for a while now! You're the best!" He ran down the street, nearly falling over with how heavy the bag was.

As soon as he was out of sight, the smile slipped from my face and I sighed, running a hand through my unruly red hair. "Why did they have to resurface now? I've been protecting this town for years, and if they find out I'm here I'll have to relocate." I walked into my cottage and began gathering supplies so I could go and find this knight that Gareth had been talking about. Hopefully, it was nothing, but it never hurt to be cautious.

I had wandered for several years before I found this small village to settle in, and to my surprise, I was accepted here. They welcomed me in with open arms, and it felt so nice to be able to walk around without everyone eyeing you with caution; I didn't want to lose this.

I was about to summon Durendal to go search for this mysterious knight when I heard a loud clanging, I looked up and saw the knight walking over the hill not 200 feet from me. My eyes widened and I ran towards it, at first with the intention of talking, but I quickly changed that to helping the poor creature, (It was obvious that this was no member of the sins) It seemed about to collapse with every step.

I got to it just in time to catch it as it fell, there was something very wrong with the knight, they barely weighed anything as it should. Normally, a person this size would weigh over two hundred pounds, plus the armor, but they weighed half of what I would have expected.

I laid the person on the ground carefully and pulled off their helmet; I gasped as I saw a young lady with beautiful silver hair and a turquoise earring.

"No way, could you by chance be Princess Elizabeth?" I murmured to myself and shook my head, "Well, there's no sense in leaving you here, now is there?" I picked the girl up and carried her down the hill and into my house, setting her down on the bed, I got to work cooking her some broth since it looked like she hadn't eaten in a while.