Chapter 26- Asguard's Help

This is the horn Janis is given by Heimdall, as the story says, it is called Gjallarhorn, and mythology states that this is the horn that Heimdall will blow at the beginning of Ragnarok. I know I didn't keep it 100% faithful to the myth, but it fits, roughly.

Also, sorry for the long wait for the chapter, but it's here now!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It took several hours, but eventually, Odin called both Thor and me to his throne room to hopefully tell us his final decision. Nearly the entire time I was with Thor, we were fighting, and what a fight it was; When I pit Durendal against his hammer, it was immediately apparent that there were major differences in the fighting style needed to wield these weapons. Mjolnir was a blunt, forceful weapon that required the handler to go for attacks that were more obvious and far less strategic; however, when it hit, it delivered a crippling amount of force that could knock an opponent out of the fight with one good hit. Then there was my Durendal, which is a sword meant to be handled with finesse, not for forceful strikes, but rather, slashes and cuts that took an opponent down because of a loss of mobility or blood.

When I fought Thor, it was a difficult change for me, but once I got used to it, it was actually rather fun; if only because I was able to practice analyzing my opponent's technique to take them down. Sadly, I didn't win, but I didn't lose either, we both took a beating and we both found someone that we could respect as a warrior; though, I couldn't help but think that Thor certainly had it worse off as far as visible injuries went. I smiled as I looked at the black eye he was sporting from when I caught him with the pommel of my sword, and the cuts that littered his face, which made him glare at me when he noticed.

"Lady Janis, I cannot help but feel that you were perhaps holding back as we fought, why is that?" Thor seemed genuinely curious and I laughed.

"That's probably because I was, in a real fight, I would be using my powers as well as my sword to take you down; but when I'm practicing, I like to stick to only using one thing. I don't want to learn to rely too much on one or the other, just in case one fails me at the worst moment."

It took a second for him to process that information, "I suppose that makes sense. Where did such a young creature as you learn that lesson? You seem wise beyond your years." 

I laughed, "Thor, you do realize I am over three hundred years old, I'm certainly not a young creature! I've had plenty of odd encounters in my life that have taught me many lessons; if I'm honest, the harder the lesson it was for me to learn, the more important it has been in my life. If I hadn't have learned some of the things I did, I wouldn't be here right now." I said this gently with a smile, Thor was a kind, if not dense man, and the more time I spent with him, the more I respected him.

"My Lady Janis, you may be over three hundred, but I am over a thousand, to me you are still only an adolescent; though, I would never dream of underestimating you or your past experiences. I do still have the injuries to prove that point." He laughed his typical rich laugh and I was about to laugh with him until what he said hit me.

"Wait, you're over a thousand years old? How does that-" I was more than curious, but my slew of questions was interrupted by a guard opening the door and ushering us to the throne to face Odin.

"Lady Janis, please do not be nervous, my father may be stricter than some, but I know that he will help your people, so stop wringing your hands, you are beginning to make even me nervous."

I chuckled briefly as I realized that he was right and my hands were threatening to tear apart my shirt; we walked in and just like before, Odin was sitting in his opulent, golden throne. This time, however, I wasn't intimidated by the whole thing and was able to approach him with much more confidence than before.