Chapter 25- Awkward Family Reunion

We walked out of the golden dome and onto a long bridge that seemed almost translucent and flowing with colors, which led to a ginormous gate that was guarded heavily. Thor and I engaged in small talk as we walked on and I had to stop myself from gasping at every new view, as each was more beautiful than the last. I agreed that I would spar with him after I had spoken with Odin, and a grin stretched across his face as I told him of some of my adventures, and he shared some of his past battles with me.

When I told him about my powers over the soul, he immediately begged me to use my banshee screech on him so he could see what it felt like, which reminded me of something Ban had once asked me when I first met him.

Flashback

It was late evening and for the first time I shared a fire with the sins after a job; though, thankfully, they ignored me for the most part. I hadn't been around normal humans consistently since I had left my village almost two hundred years ago now, and I wasn't sure how to handle this situation.

Of course, Meliodas and Ban were drunk out of their minds, and so when Ban approached me, I stiffened and pulled myself further into my hood that I had yet to take off, "So, Janis, I hear you have a wicked power that lets you kill people easily, that sounds like fun, you should hit me with it, I mean, you barely fought today, so I am starting to doubt that you can do anything."

I shook my head at him and looked away, I knew that he was drunk but to think that I did nothing was ridiculous. I did my best to stay out of the limelight, and my efforts were far more covert, but I took out more people than all of the others combined, simply by changing into my mist body and going throughout the ranks killing hundreds. When would they realize that the King named me to be the best assassin in the kingdom for a reason?

Ban kept mocking me, obviously trying to get a rise out of me, but I was good at ignoring people like him. "Come on, Ban, leave her alone; if she doesn't want to show you, then don't make her." Diane called out to him, which surprised me; Diane had only ever shown outright disdain for me because that was all Captain treated me with, and she was a total groupie towards him.

"No, she is part of the team now, she should open up and share her powers with us; I'm not going to leave her alone until she reacts," Ban said with surprising sobriety and then he turned back to me to continue teasing me. Before he could get anything else out, I summoned Durendal and engaged my mist body with a whisper; everyone's eyes widened as I literally vanished into the mist. I rematerialized behind him and did my quietest banshee screech, which caused him to collapse immediately.

Meliodas jumped to his feet and yelled at me, "What did you do to him, death bringer? I swear, if you hurt any of my teammates, I will kill you!" I bowed my head in acknowledgment of his words and then pointed to Ban, who was stirring.

"My banshee screech simply drained enough energy to incapacitate him; technically yes, I could kill him with that, but I have far better control over my powers than to do something like that by accident." My voice was low and almost raspy, as I hadn't used much at all over the years, and my teammates backed away from me as they heard this, which made me sigh and walk away from the fire, I could tell when I wasn't wanted somewhere, and I knew that there would be a job waiting for me when I returned to the castle.

End Flashback

"Thor, I would love to show you how my powers work, but let's do it after we spar, I would hate to drain all of the energy from you before we even got started," I said with a smile, I wasn't the same person I had been then, I had friends who were willing to support me, I could trust myself to open up finally.

***

I walked into a room that Thor told me was Odin's throne room; though, to be honest, I would have figured that out on my own because of the ornate throne in the middle of the room, that looked familiar. It took me a few seconds to place it, but this was similar to the throne Hel had in her palace.