Chapter 23- Ravens

Okay, so it has nothing to do with the chapter, but I find this to be so true...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After coming back from the pits of my memories, the rest of the night was composed of a big feast. I begged to be let out of it, but Son-rah informed me that it was my duty to attend this and to enjoy myself, mainly because she said this whole thing was being hosted in my honor. I think that they just were looking for any excuse to celebrate, so I reluctantly joined in because I could see how much the Dryads needed good news and I was it.

About twenty minutes into the party, I was informed that it was the guest of honor's duty to accept any challenge given to them, which worried me slightly; I knew that the dryads were infamous for their drinking abilities, and I desperately did not want to deal with a hangover while speaking to Odin's representatives the next morning. I suppose that it was a good thing that I was in no position to refuse, because the instant I reluctantly agreed to this stipulation, the who crowd cheered and I was led from table to table, being congratulated and challenged to countless contests of both the eating/ drinking variety as well as competitions of strength.

I took the easy road out of anything to do with alcohol by claiming that I could not drink anymore after just one drink; thankfully, this didn't cause any animosity, rather, all those who had beaten me gathered together to see who was the best drinker out of all of them. I watched from the sidelines with a grin as a contest that would have been difficult for even Ban and Meliodas to compete in ensued.

Son-rah came over and sat by me with a content smile, "Thank you for this, Janis; my people have not had a cause for celebration like this for many years. I know that you only agreed to this reluctantly, but it has brought smiles to faces that sorely needed them."

I nodded, "I could see that it has been a while since I have felt a place with this much condensed sadness, it was the least I could do to offer some relief."

"In that case, my people owe you a debt." We sat silently side by side for a minute, both of us lost in our own thoughts until Son-rah sighed and said to me quietly, "I wish I could say that I simply came over here for idle prattle, but that is not the case; we have to discuss what I saw."

"Zaratras?" I asked just as quietly, and she nodded, "Well, I can't say that I'm surprised, and you of all people deserve to know the truth. Zaratras was killed just over ten years ago by his brother, who sought power, you saw that I was informed of this before-hand by a death vision, but what you didn't see is that my comrades and I were accused of killing him by the same people who killed him. We were forced to scatter and go into hiding for the next ten years. It was only recently that we reunited and removed his brother from power. I know you could sense the demonic power that was used, and that was a huge part of our fight; they were attempting to break the seal on the demon's world, and they very nearly succeeded, from what I understand. I was sent to the underworld during this time, to Fenris' realm, for saving a soul who had been marked for death."

"Why were my sisters and I not informed? We could have been a great help in this conflict." Son-rah said in exasperation, in the past, the dryads had been some of the kingdoms most trusted allies, but that had changed ever since they had totally isolated them on this mountain.

"Son-rah, you do realize' that very few people even remember that you exist, right? The Holy Knights are more and more becoming known as one of the few groups that hold powerful magic; that and everything happened rather quickly, it would have been difficult enough to get a hold of you as it is, but then you add to that the fact that we weren't on the best of terms before today."

She lowered her head and thought about what I had said for a moment, "I suppose that is true, but now my question is; why are you here? I doubt it was to reconnect with your long-estranged cousins."