3. Decisions, Decisions (Edited)

Edited 

It'd been two days since I was assigned to tutor Aiden and to say he was annoying was an understatement. That boy was the master of annoyance, the very king of annoying kings. Trying to explain math to him while he was constantly making it his number one priority to either say a gazillion different sexual innuendos or flirt with every girl that walked by was so incredibly infuriating. It was like trying to potty train a dog.

I walked down the hardwood steps of my staircase and into the living room where I was greeted with the sight of my father, lying on the couch watching his favorite TV channel MeTV. We don't have cable because Dad and I don't watch much TV, so we only get around sixteen channels. I didn't mind though and neither did Dad, so long as he could watch The Rifleman, his favorite TV show.

Sometimes I feel for him. Ever since he and mom got a divorce life has been so much more tough on him. I've tried to be there for him, but it's hard when I'm always at school and he's working. Dad works for a cable company in the area. Sometimes he works as the assistant to the manager and other times he helps the employees with the installation process.

"Hey Dad," I smiled taking a seat next to him.

"Hey kiddo, how was your day?"

I sighed. "A hassle. I got assigned to tutor this jock who's doesn't even want to be tutored. Dad, it's like trying to potty train a baby!"

Dad's eyes were glued to the TV, but he replied anyways. "Why don't you knock him on his ass and show him who's in charge?"

I chuckled. "Dad, that's mean."

"Well, sometimes you gotta be mean to get the message across."

Just then, the doorbell rang, before Autumn barged in, her large Michael Kors purse in hand, as she sang out a greeting to both my father and I.

"Hey, Autumn," dad said casually as she walked into the living room.

See, it wasn't strange at all to see Autumn occasionally barging into our house. In fact, it's been happening ever since she and I were kids, so dad's gotten pretty used to it at this point, and I think Autumn has too. She does still ring the doorbell out of courtesy, but she doesn't wait for anyone to answer, she just comes in.

"Hey, Joe!" she smiled, before motioning for me to follow her up to my room.

When we made it to my room, she set her purse down on the floor and took a seat on the carpet, lying on her back and staring up at the ceiling. I had the feeling she wanted to tell me something, so I laid down next to her, my hair sprawling out on the carpet.

"Okay, what is it?" I asked.

"What's what?"

"The thing you're dying to tell me, but don't know how to." I said pointedly, turning to look at her.

She sighed, and for a moment there was silence.

"I think you should try to make things work with Evan."

Silence. Again.

I laid there for a moment, staring up at the ceiling and taking in what Autumn had said. And as I laid there for longer and longer, contemplating both the pros and cons of what might happen, I realized that Autumn was right. It's been so long. So long that I've kept my feelings hidden from him, and I know that I'm going to end up regretting it for the rest of my life if I never tell Evan how I've felt about him all this time.

"It's your senior year, Emery, and you've waited long enough to tell him how you feel. I think it's time. This is your chance."

I continued staring at the ceiling.

"But what if he doesn't like me back?"

"Then at least you put yourself out there." she said. "At least you won't have any regrets."

Autumn did have a point. It was the last year that I would probably ever see Evan again. After this year, we were all going to split up and go our separate ways. Would I really be able to live with the fact that I never at least tried to tell Evan about my feelings for him? Could I really live for the rest of my life wondering what could have been?

I sighed, as Autumn and I laid there. "Okay," I whispered, "but I have one request."

I turned my head to look at her, the fuzzy carpet rubbing against the backs of our necks as she turned to look at me, nodding for me to go on.

"Promise me it's going to be okay – if he doesn't."

She grabbed my hand, squeezing it in hers. "It's going to be okay, Emery. I promise." 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks so much for clicking that read button! You all don't know much it means to me that you're taking an interest in this book and taking time out of your day to read it! I appreciate it so much! 

So, any opinions on unrequited love? 

Do you think it's bound to end in disaster or can it sometimes prevail? 

Let me know your thoughts :) 

-Katy