5. Knocking That Ego Down (Edited)

Edited 

I walked out of the girl's locker room, Autumn next to me as we made our way out to the track. Our sixth period class just so happened to be gym class, which I shared with Aiden—something I'd never bothered to notice until now. At our school, gym is required to graduate all four years. I had absolutely no problem with that, considering that gym was one of my favorite classes. Every day at the start of class we're required to run a mile as part of our physical education, so right now everyone was gathering at the track's beginning doing their usual stretching and mingling in their social groups.

As Autumn and I made our way over to the crowd, we crouched down and she did her usual toe-touch stretch, while helping me out with all my shin-splint related stretches. I'd gotten shin splints my sophomore year of track and they finally went away last year, but I always continue my stretches just in case they make another appearance. As I turned, sitting cross-legged on the track, my eyes fell upon the dynamic trio that was now making their way towards the track.

The dynamic trio was what the entire school referred to as Aiden and his two best friends, Blake Hammond and Carter Richards, both of whom were also on the basketball team, and both of whom were equally as annoying as Aiden I'm sure. Carter was the oddball of the three with his windswept, dirty blonde hair and also being the only of the three who had an actual girlfriend. When I say girlfriend that's what I really mean, not some girl that he just calls his girlfriend. From what I've observed they are 100% in love with each other. Any person can tell when you look at the both of them.

Aiden and Blake were both the players of the trio and both dark haired and mysterious in nature, unlike Carter. Carter always gave me the sweet guy vibe, which was really hard to believe considering who he hangs out with, but I've learned that people aren't defined by who they choose to be around. They're defined by their actions and their words. In what they say and do.

Just as I turned my head to see the three of them I could see the smug look on Aiden's face as his eyes landed on me. I couldn't help but feel a bit nervous as to what was going through that delinquent brain of his in that moment. In fact, the way he was looking at me was beginning to creep me out. I could practically see the gears turning in his brain, coming up with some grade, elaborate scheme to drive me crazy with.

"Why is Aiden staring at you like that?" Autumn asked, turning back to look at me.

I sighed, reaching backwards to pull my foot up in a stretch as I looked at her. "Probably because he's thinking of ways he can drive me crazy."

Autumn glanced over at Aiden, before looking back at me with furrowed eyebrows. "Are you sure you know what you're getting yourself into, Emery? I've heard he can be pretty ... persuasive."

I looked at her, before bursting out laughing. "Autumn, please, I can handle Aiden. He's the least of my worries. Honestly, unless he can magically turn into Evan, there's no way he'd ever get me to fall for him."

"Speaking of which!" Autumn beamed, clapping her hands together. "How's that been going?! Have you guys talked anymore since ... the lunchroom." she wiggled her eyebrows.

Before I could answer her and tell her she was insane for thinking that Aiden could ever sink his claws into me, I was cut off by none other than the smirking guy himself, Aiden Parker. The smirk on his face made me want to visibly roll my eyes as he walked past me, but I didn't. I kept my cool.

"Lookin' pretty hot in those shorts, Emery." Aiden whispered, circling around and brushing past me casually. I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up as his arm against mine.