28. Falling (Edited)

Edited 

After yesterday and the night before, things between Aiden and I seemed to take a turn. Something between us was different now, and I was almost certain I knew what it was, especially after we had almost kissed yesterday in my room.

It felt like there was a stronger connection between us now, like there were no more secrets hanging between us, and nothing could stop us from being together. After what Aiden had told me the night before, there was no doubt in my mind the type of person he is. The man that he's become. Aiden is so much more mature than all of us are. The fact that he felt the need to step up, that he wanted to step up and help Victoria when no one else would, when she had no one else, despite the fact that Cayden was never his child...that spoke volumes about his character. There's no one I would rather give my heart to than a person who puts others before himself.

Every waking moment I spent with Aiden only made me see how completely and totally amazing he truly was. I had always known that there was so much more to Aiden than the front he put up with everyone else, and for him to trust me enough to let his guard down, for him to trust me enough to confide in me. For the first time that I had developed feelings for Aiden, I felt worthy of him. It felt good to be proven wrong about how I had initially thought of Aiden. He's shown me that he's so much more than just the reckless boy everyone sees him as.

I hugged my books closer to my chest, smiling at the ground as I walked through the hallways with thoughts of Aiden on my mind. The fifth period bell had just rung, signaling the start of my study hall period, but I didn't have much to study for since I had already taken all my finals. The entire school had voted that finals be the Monday and Tuesday of the last week before Christmas break, that way we could all relax and enjoy the last few days. Since the school always plans special events on the last days, everyone agreed it was the perfect option, even though we would all be taking our finals a week earlier than usual.

I placed my biology and calculus books neatly in my locker, making a point to fix the crooked picture of Carter, Riley, Blake, Autumn, Aiden, and I that we had taken a few months back on our hiking trip to the Pinnacles. Remembering that day brought so many happy memories to mind, because it was the day that I first realized Aiden wasn't the obnoxious boy everyone thought him to be.

"Hey!" Evan's beaming smile brought me out of my thoughts, as I jumped in surprise. The last person I had expected to see standing at my locker was Evan Andrews, especially since we hadn't spoken in ages.

I looked up at him, blinking my lashes a few times to see if I was just imagining the whole situation, but I certainly wasn't. Evan kept standing there with that boyish grin on his face, his bright white teeth showing the excitement on his features. I remember a time when that smile used to have my heart thumping in my chest and my blood pumping through my veins, but now... I didn't feel anything. In fact, his presence no longer held that uplifting sensation that always used to wash over me when I spoke to him. As I looked at him, I realized that even though Evan would always hold a special place in my heart, my feelings for him were beginning to diminish. With each day that passed by, I felt myself slowly letting go of him.

I gave him a small smile, continuing to stuff my books in my locker. "Hey,"

I didn't look at him, but when I glanced out of the corner of my eye, I could see that he was frowning. And it was then that it occurred to me that there had never been a moment in Evan's life where I had ever not payed attention to him, or dismissed him, or not shown my excitement at his presence. Today was the first day.

"So uh—!" he scratched the back of his head, ruffling his always perfectly styled hair. As I watched him, I realized that it was something I was no longer attracted to. Perfectly styled hair. I preferred it unkempt, messy...like Aiden's. I pressed my lips together tightly to supress the smile that wanted to come to my lips. "—I saw that you signed up to be in the Prom Fashion Show..."