Chapter 6: Rivals

A/N:

Thank you so much for voting and commenting and actually reading my book. I don't know how I reached so many views so fast, but I know I wouldn't be able to do it if people weren't actually reading my book so THANK YOU SO MUCH.

--

Chase

Let's get one thing straight, I'm not stupid. I didn't think all would be forgiven after I gave her one sorry ass excuse of a rose.

Even though that single rose happened to cost seven dollars. Which is five dollars more than what I intended to pay. But that's beside the point. I made sure we were alone for that very reason. I didn't know how mad she was or whether she was still mad at all. After that encounter, I think it's safe to say that she's definitely still mad. Which makes sense. In fact, I expected it, but that doesn't mean it didn't hurt my- I mean irritate me a little bit.

I know I did something really shitty but I am sorry. That's all I can really say at this point. I've regretted what I did for so long but I've never had the guts to tell her. Not that I necessarily have the guts now but it's a lot easier to take risks when you have nothing left to lose.

I wish she could just see how sorry I am and let me make up for my mistakes. I don't want all the messed up shit I've done to define who I am. I know that's a lot to ask but it's necessary if I'm going to change.

"Mrs. Peterson, I don't think Chase is paying attention so I think he should answer the question." The all-too-familiar voice is what snaps me out of my thoughts.

Mrs. Peterson, my math teacher, pauses for a second as if for a moment she didn't understand what the girl was talking about.

"Ahh, yes Ellie, that's a brilliant idea." She says before turning to face me.

"Mr. Milestone? The answer?" Mrs. Peterson asks.

"What?" I say, now aware that I haven't been listening to a word that she's said for the past twenty minutes.

By now all the students' heads have all turned to face me. I scan them. Some have worried eyes while others have amused expressions.

My eyes bounce around the room and end up on the whiteboard. I pray that it has some sort of clue to help me figure out what question I'm supposed to miraculously answer.

It doesn't.

I let out an irritated sigh, "can you repeat the question?"

"There was no question. I just wanted to see if you were paying attention, and you clearly weren't. I'd suggest you actually listen, Mr. Milestone, you might learn something." Mrs. Peterson says.

The class erupts into snickers and chuckles.

I can feel my blood boiling. I haven't exactly been in the best mood for the past couple of days and today is no exception. I'm desperately trying to save whatever relationship I have left with my mom, so excuse me if quadratic formulas and algebraic equations are the least of my problem.

I give glares to the remaining students still staring at me. The laughter settles down eventually and all the students turn their heads back around to face Mrs. Peterson.

All but one.

She had an innocent smile draped onto her face but she was anything but innocent. She wasn't fed up with just getting me in trouble for zoning out in class, oh no. She just had to rub it in my face too.

I stare at her blankly and lean forward in my chair.

"This isn't over," I mouth slowly, making sure she understands every word.