Chapter 23: Party Like It's Ya Birthday

Songs:

Yours- Ella Henderson

You Owe Me- The Chainsmokers

Please vote for my chapters!! I keep forgetting to say this but thank you to the people who literally go through and vote for every chapter! It means the world! <3

--

Chase

I'm on cloud nine.

I don't think I've been this happy in a long time. After my selfless act on the beach and a near-death experience, I was finally able to tell Megan everything I'd wanted to tell her since I came back. We had long talks on the following nights after the beach and I explained to her how the person I was before is not even close to the who I am now and for the first time ever, I actually believed myself when I said that.

A few years ago, I would never have jumped into the ocean to get a bracelet Megan lost. I wouldn't have even given the bracelet a second thought. The talk I had with Ellie that night opened up a patient side of me that I'd never seen before and I don't know if the guy I am now is worthy enough for Megan's forgiveness, but I know I'm getting there.

When I see Megan roaming the halls, I trail behind her as she heads to her locker.

"So..." I say when I'm directly behind her.

Megan turns around to glance at me. "So....?" She says back.

"Sooooooooooooooooo," I lean my shoulder on the locker next to Megan's as I watch her grab her books.

"Chase." Megan pauses. "Are you under the impression that just because you almost drowned trying to get a bracelet I never asked you get, I owe you something?" Megan narrows her eyes at me playfully.

My eyebrows draw closer together as I wonder if this is a trick question or not. Megan answers my question for me.

"Because I don't," Megan finishes. "We're just friends."

"Oh, of course. Friends." I wink at her letting her know I'm on the same page. Ah, the classic friends with benefits invitation. I didn't know this was the next step with me and Megan but if the shoe fits.

Megan swatts my shoulder hard. "No, Chase. Not that kind of friend." She enunciates each word in an attempt to clarify her statement "We. Are. Just. Friends."

I stare at her for a second longer than I should have, waiting for her face to soften. But her eyes don't betray any sign of a joke.

And just like that, the cloud of positivity that was floating above me turns into a cloud of anguish, striking lightning bolts at my head and pouring buckets of water over my body. I push myself off the lockers, retreating in my mental steps. "PFFFT," I say loudly. "I knew that, Megan. I would never assume that you owed me anything just because I almost drowned trying to get you a bracelet that you barely wear." I let out a strained laugh. My words come out a little more bitterly than I want them to since they represent my inner thoughts.

"Good. Because we wouldn't want that, would we?" Megan closes her locker smoothly before swiftly turning her head to look at me. She cocks her head to the side, waiting for my answer.

I give her a tight-lipped smile. "No, we wouldn't want that."

Megan smirks before turning on her heel, her hair bouncing as she moves and flying in my face. In seconds, she's slipping from my grasp and being joined by some other cheerleaders.

I breathe in disappointment and exhale any remaining happiness. I didn't think our relationship would have the same dynamic it had before but I thought we'd at least be closer and talking like we used to. But nothing is like it used to be. Megan isn't even treating me like her friend she's treating me like some sort of old acquaintance and It's a little frustrating. Justin and Devon sympathize with me. Devon told me that he feared this would happen, I've been put in what's called no man's land.