Chapter 15: Rumor has it

Show: Stranger Things

Songs:

Khelani- Runnin'

 Ruelle- Game of survival

---

Chase

I don't know what's made me dream of her but I do. For the past few nights, every time I fall asleep, I dream of Ellie.

It's the same dream over and over again. 

It's the same memory over and over again.

I'm sitting at a curb on the sidewalk, feeling the cool breeze on my chest. I'm wearing a black shirt. One that's meant to be buttoned up but worn openly leaving my chest bare and visible for the world to see. In my hand is a bottle of whiskey. I throw my head back and chug most of the alcohol down. I barely feel the burn that rushes up my throat every time I take a sip. That's one of the things I love about liquor, after you've drank most of the bottle, it takes away the pain and numbs you until you can't feel anything.

I let out a defeated breathe before setting the whiskey down on the ground. I drag my hands over my face.

My mom's had countless boyfriends who've filtered in and out of our lives. Each and every one of them has cracked and stolen a piece of my mom's heart before walking out of her life completely. But all I can think about is Kevin. The new guy. He's different. I can tell that he won't hurt her. He won't walk out on her like my father did, he won't break her like so many others did. All I can think about is how wrong I was about him.

Because he loves her.

He was willing to show her the kind of love you can only dream about. The kind of love you see in fairy tales. The kind of love she deserves. And I'd almost destroyed that. I'd almost destroyed everything. Every leftover resolve I have to ruin their relationship shatters as guilt fills my lungs. I treated Kevin and his daughter, Julia so horribly but I just...I didn't want my mom to get hurt again. I didn't want to see her cry again.

I just wanted to save her.

My downcast eyes stare at my bloody knuckles as I realize that I failed miserably.

My eyes are cloudy when they look up at the night sky. I don't know what I'm searching for in the stars. Some sort of answer as to what I'm supposed to do now? Some sort of sign to show me that all hope isn't lost or that I can become whole again. A sign that'll show me that I can feel something other than this never-ending numbness.

My sign appears in the form a blurry figure moving towards me. I blink as my eyes adjust to the blur in front of me. The closer the figure comes, the more I notice it's blonde hair and it's emerald eyes. Ellie. My eyes widen as I watch her sit on the curb beside me. I flinch when she leans in, inches away from my face.

Her eyes lock onto mine, "You're going to be okay."

I don't know what she means by this. But her words bring a warmth to my chest that I don't recognize. A line forms between my eyebrows as I stare at her. I open my mouth but no words come out.

And just as quickly as she appears in the dream, she disappears

"Get up, Chase." My mom's authoritative voice snaps me awake.

I lay in my bed with my eyes closed and jaw clenched. Irritation creeps its way into my body. I listen to my mom repetitively call out my name as I take deep, calming breaths. Ever since my mom came back, she's made my life a living hell. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that she didn't just abandon me but she's been running our house like it's a military boot camp.