Chapter 13: Something

A/N:

I've noticed that the shows I watch and the music I listen to REALLY influence the theme of my chapters SO I'm gonna start listing what I listen to and what I'm watching as I write these chapters!

Show: Riverdale

Songs:

Selena Gomez- It Ain't Me

Blackbear- Idfc

The Young Romans-Circles

Sam Smith-Too good at Goodbyes (MY FAVORITE)

--

Chase

Shock doesn't even begin to describe how I feel after I watch Ellie slap the police officer. Milliseconds of silence pass by as the officer, his partner, Katie, and I try to understand what just happened.

Why?

Why does she do these things? When she tried to punch Riley, I understood. Riley and her friends were bullying her, of course she defended herself. When she flipped me, I was pissed but I forgave her (eventually).

But this? What the hell is wrong with her? Why does she keep getting herself into these situations?

Before I can chalk her strange behavior up to plain insanity, I see the fear in her face, the tremble in her hands, and the regret in her eyes. And then something clicks inside of me.

When she gets scared, she attacks people.

She can't control it.

And suddenly, Ellie's behavior starts to make a whole lot more sense.

Everything that happens next flashes by at lightning speed. It's not long before the police officer's partner restrains Ellie by handcuffing her arms behind her back. They tell her that she's under arrest for assaulting an officer and all I can do is watch, too stunned to move or talk, as they escort her to the police car.

I barely get a glance at Ellie's face but she's ghostly white. Something inside of me twists when her glassy green eyes meet mine. And the worst part is, she's not resisting, she's letting them take her.

I open and clench my fists. I want to help her. But how would I help? What could I possibly do or say to stop this from happening?

What the fuck am I supposed to do?

"Chase, help her! You have to do something!" Katie's prosthetic arm shakes my hand vigorously. "They're going to arrest Ellie!"

I stare ahead silently, not sure what I'm supposed to do.

"CHASE!" Katie yells.

I look down at Katie. "KATIE, she slapped a friggin' officer across the face. What do you expect me to do about that-"

"You can do SOMETHING because right now all I see is a coward who's too afraid to do ANYTHING!" She releases my hand, disappointment is written across her face.

I tear my gaze away from her and look at the officers, they're pushing Ellie into the back seat of the police car.

For fuck's sake.

"Officers! Officers! Please wait!" I yell as I run towards their car. "She... this girl didn't kidnap Katie!"

They've both already stepped into the car and taken their seats, looking at me with annoyance and flippancy. I can tell they don't want to listen to my weak attempt to help Ellie. When I reach the side of the car, I knock on the window until they roll it down.