chapter 5

"I don't like you."

"The feeling is mutual kid."

"I have two mommies, are you going to be number three?"

Kenny and Crystal sat in a corner booth of an expensive French restaurant. So far the date was going according to plan and Blake had excused himself to take an important business call leaving his son with his date.

The two temper tantrums Kenny had thrown since the date had begun less than an hour earlier had done nothing to dissuade Crystal. The first was when they told him fast food was not a grown up date place, and the second when Blake told him he had to order food before he could order a giant lava chocolate cake mountain as a dessert.

"What do you mean two mommies?" Crystal asked the child, who was innocently scooping his food onto Blake's plate. They had  moved onto plan C the moment Blake left to answer the supposed call.

"I have two mommies." Kenny replied with a duh tone while adding more broccoli to the plate.

"So, your dad has been married two times?" Chrystal tried to reason it seemed logical that a five year old would think this step mom was his mom as well.

"No. I have two mommies and 1 daddy, and one baby sister, and we all live in a big house. My daddy said they were gonna order another baby soon." He replied with a matter of fact tone shocking Blake's date.

Crystal said nothing as she sipped on her wine, while trying to make sense of the child's story. There was a good chance he was lying as many kids his age often did, she figured she could talk to Blake and convince him to take the boy to see a councelor about is overactive imagination. Her thoughts however were interrupted as Blake returned to the table after his brief call.

" I do apologize for taking that, but I've been waiting to hear back from some investors. Are you two ready for dessert?" Blake asked, trying to ignore the fact that his plate was piled with salad, broccoli and pieces of leftover chicken strips.

"Of course. Kenneth here was telling me about his mom." Crystal smiled, Kenny just glared back at the woman his name was not Kenneth.

" Oh yeah, which one?" Was Blake's reply as  he picked up the menu and began flipping to the dessert page, like the conversation they were about to have was a normal thing people did on a first date.

"You mean...oh...the kid was right! What is wrong with you?" She shrieked, tossing her napkin on the table and running from the restaurant.

Blake turned to a grinning four year old who had his hand outstretched as if waiting for something. Blake grumbled as he pulled out his wallet and called for the server. Once the check came he paid and turned his attention back to the child, who was still patiently waiting.

"You little hustler. I should tell your mothers about this." Blake chastised handing the boy a crisp hundred dollar bill.

Kenny grinned and held it up to the light verifying that it was a real bill.
"It's real, now let's go, I'm hungry and I still owe you a happy meal."

They walked out of the restaurant, both boys with a giant grin on their faces.

"Dude, Em, that guy by the door is kinda cute. Oh wait he has a kid. Do you like kids? You like kids right?" Claire asked as she set the tray of burgers down on the table.

Emily looked over her friends shoulder, all she saw was dark hair peeking from under a baseball cap, and an adorable blond boy with bright blue eyes happily eating fries with mustard.

"Can't see his face, Claire." She replied picking up her food and adding ketchup to everything, much to her friends disgust.

"So, tell me more about your job. What are you going to be doing?" Claire asked scraping the red sauce off a fry.

"No idea, the lady said I was qualified for a job, and she would be filling me in on what it entails tomorrow. That way I'm ready for Monday." Emily replied setting down the bottle and opening up her burger. She began adding fries to the inside as she listened to Claire talk about some ideas she had for her own job.

Halfway thru the meal the sound of tires screeching in the parking lot made them look up. A dark haired woman stormed out of the car and into the restaurant and straight for the table with hottie and his son. The girls watched the interaction as the woman, who they assumed was the mom and wife pointed a finger at the man and then stormed back out of the place with the boy in her arms. They watched him wave at the man, and give him a thumbs up before the door closed behind them.

The sound of laughter filled the restaurant, Emily looked towards the table were the father was now  shoving fries into his plate as he attempted to get up from the booth. With a shake of her head she looked back down at her own food, but not before stealing another glance at the man.

As the door closed behind him, he turned, met her eyes, and winked before heading towards the parking lot.

~~~~~•~~~~~•~~~~~
Unofficial meeting between Blake and Emily.
First day of work tomorrow. And the fun officially begins

~~~~~•~~~~~•~~~~~

Unofficial meeting between Blake and Emily.

First day of work tomorrow. And the fun officially begins