Chapter 24

The crowd dispersed just as quickly as it had gathered, within a few minutes of Junior ruining the picnic everyone was back to mingling, leaving Blake alone with his thoughts.

“So are we going to chase after them?” A male's voice asked from beside him. Blake turned to face his cousin's grinning face.

“Uncle Calvin! You came!” A blonde head yelled as it sped past Blake and tackled the mans legs.

“Of course I came. I'm here every year, champ”  he replied picking up the boy and sitting him on his shoulders. Standing next to each other the two cousins could pass as anything but family. In contrast to Blake’s dark locks and crisp look,  Calvin was 6’5 had dirty blonde hair that usually fell past his ears and bright green eyes. The younger of the two men had also been a model during his college years earning him a reputation with the ladies, and unlike his cousin he thrived in the attention.

“We need to stop at my place first and drop off Kenny.  I'll call her once we have that out of the way and see if she wants to talk today, I don't want her to think I'm siding with the brat by ignoring her but I don't want to crowd her either” Blake explained as he casually walked away from the festivities. Employees simply smiled and waved as he informed them that he was leaving for the evening, a look of understanding and concern was plastered on everyone's face.

“Uncle Calvin did you know uncle Blake and me has a girlfriend?” Kenny asked from his seat on Calvin's shoulders. Blake rolled his eyes as his cousin encouraged the boy to tell him more about these unknown girlfriends of theirs.

“She's not picking up the phone. I tried calling, texting, I even emailed her. Why isn't she replying?” A frustrated Blake complained as they waited in traffic, they had left the party less than twenty minutes ago and while Calvin drove them back to Daliah’s, Blake attempted to communicate with Emily.

“Uncle Blake, who are you trying to call?” A voice asked from the back seat. Without turning or even looking up from his phone Blake replied. His frustration and impatience was beginning to show with every second he did not receive a reply.

“She didn't invite you to her birthday party?” Kenny questioned causing both men to turn over in their seats to look at him.

“What birthday?” Blake asked narrowing his eyes at the boy.

“Her birthday, duhh. You need to listen uncle Blake. She said she was going to go home for her birthday, but she was going to bring me back more beads so Aubbey and me can make more bracelets.” The boy smiled as he played with the beads that were wrapped around his own wrist. Blake and Calvin exchanged a quick look and nod, before Blake pulled out his phone and began to furiously type away.

 Blake and Calvin exchanged a quick look and nod, before Blake pulled out his phone and began to furiously type away

“ What the hell happened back there?” Claire asked as they pulled into the highway. Since they had packed and loaded their bags into Emily’s car the night before the two girls were heading straight to their hometown.