Chapter 10.5

“Uncle Blake! I want to feed a shark! Can I feed a shark? Will you feed a shark with me? Please?”

The moment they arrived at the shark encounter Kenny had been bombarding his uncle with countless questions. Half of which were left unanswered since the boy kept asking a new one every few seconds.

While Blake dealt with his nephew, Emily and Claire were waiting in line to buy a bucket of fish. In reality feeding the sharks was not as exciting as it sounded, it consisted of going up on a platform and dumping a bucket of fish mix into the water below.

“Kenny, we need to go stand over there to buy fish” Blake argued with the boy pointing to the growing line.  The boy's eyes bulged when he saw the wait and his heart broke when he realized they would not get a bucket of fish.

“Hey kid, where are you going? I thought we were feeding the sharks?” Blake called after him. Kenny held back the tears he made his way to the seating area, it would be pointless to stand in line. Even at a young age he understood that limited quantities meant not a lot of something and only the people in the front got it.  Having a rich parent or uncle did not guarantee that he would get something if he didn't work towards it.

“Why so glum Kenny boy?” A sweet voice questioned from in front of him. The smell of fish made Kenny scrunch up his nose before looking up and coming face to face with Emily.

“We waited too long, so we didn't get fish to feed the sharks.” was the quiet answer.

Emily smiled at the boy, she could relate Ethan usually took too long to get ready and they never made the feedings on time. The one time they did her idiot brother almost fell into the enclosure, and soon after the no hands policy and the raised platform were implemented.

“Well, I have a bucket, and my friend Claire has a bucket too. Do you want to go with me and help me? This is a little heavy to carry by myself” Emily  questioned already knowing what the answer would be. The switch turned on and a moment later the boy was jumping up from his seat and running towards Claire, who was struggling with her fish bucket.

“Uncle Blake, help Emmy. I'm going to help Claire because she needs a strong man” The boy struggled to explain as he helped the other girl with the fish.

“You're such a gentleman. And you are way too cute, do you have an older brother?” Claire praised as the two of them struggled pass Emily who was still sitting on the floor.

“Well looks like we both got ditched by our dates today” Blake's voice pointed out from above. Emily laughed as she took the hand he offered to help her up.

“Some date. I feel used for an aquarium entry and a bucket of fish food.” Emily teased as they made their way to the platform.

“If it makes you feel any better I was used for breakfast, and aquarium visit and one hundred dollars in cash.” Blake admitted.

“Woh. One hundred dollars in cash? Did you have to bribe his mom to let him out or something?” Emily asked with a horrified expression on her face.

“I wish. But no I paid the kid. He started charging for his services a few weeks ago. He just said he had to save for something and it would take a long time to get there.” Blake confessed, feeling a little guilty that he didn't know where the money was going to.

“Well he's a kid, one if his mom's is a vice president at a world renowned firm, and his uncle is the owner. He's got to get his ambitions from someone, right?”  She reasoned as they waited for their turn.

They watched as Kenny and Claire picked up fish and threw them into the middle of the pool before dumping the remains of the bucket like they were supposed to.

“When we get up there don't lean on the railing. It has no support and is just there for show.” Emily explained as they waited for the family in front of them to go up.  Once the platform was cleared they made their way up the steps and waited for further instructions.

“Please keep your hands and all other body parts on the platform at all times and please don't lean over the railing. When you are ready just dump your bucket and then turn so you can get your picture taken. Thank you for your cooperation have a good day.”

“Well he sounds happy to be working here.” Blake teased as the teenager rolled his eyes and open the feeding hole. Emily laughed at his comments and handed him a fish. He looked at her confused before remembering what Kenny and Claire had done. Taking the fish he tossed it over the railing and watched as the sharks fought over it. Realizing that they were hungrier than he thought he took a step back and onto a wet spot rated by the fish he had pulled out of the bucket.

“Careful!” Emily teased as she helped him regain his balance.  Fearing for his life Blake waited for her to toss the fish before emptying the contents down the hole and personally  closing the latch.

“If I didn't know any better I would say you were scared.” Emily teased as they made their way to the photo booth.

“I don't like sharks. And I uh, I-I can't swim.” he admitted turning a slight shade of pink. Emily stopped, did she just hear that Blake Redwood did not know how to swim, and that he was afraid of sharks?.

“Well, if it makes you feel any better I don't like spiders.” Emily shared hoping to ease his nervousness. He acknowledged her attempt with a slight nod and a smile, grateful she was not one for teasing.

“Hey love birds. Are you buying the photos or not?” Claire called out as her and Kenny waited by the monitors with an attendant. Both adults rolled their eyes and made their way to the screen.

--------------

Suprise! Yes this is new, thought it might be nice to have the scene instead of just a memory.

Don't forget to vote and all that other fun stuff.