One

Emma

(A/N: Just wanted to say, it's not Emma Chamberlain, since everyone is commenting on it. I wrote this before I even knew who she was. I don't know what y'all have against the name Emma either. Poor all of the Emmas out there.)

It's been almost two months since I've been safe, and I still don't feel safe.

But any place away from my father, was a place better than where he was.

I haven't seen my grandmother in years, not because I didn't want to, but because I simply wasn't allowed to fly across the whole state to her.

It feels good to be back in New Jersey, it feels good to be away from home.

Then again, that house back in Kansas City was never really a home.

My grandma sent me to the store to get some milk and eggs, simple as that. But what she didn't count on, was the heavy down pour that just started a couple minutes ago.

Saying I was really uncomfortable walking down the street, with my hoodie drenched and no umbrella over my head, would be an understatement. People were giving me side glances, hopefully not because of the major scar across my cheek but because I just looked plain crazy, walking in
the rain like a wet dog.

I pull my hoodie further across my face, the inevitable pain in my chest rising along with the ball of tears in my throat. My anxiety levels were going off the charts and I felt like I couldn't breath.

All I felt these days, to be completely honest.

I was pretty sure I started crying at some point, but no one would even notice, because of the rain.

I simply didn't want to be here.

Suddenly, I feel the left over air in my lungs being knocked out, as I harshly bump shoulders with someone. It nearly knocks me off me feet, spilling the contents of my bag on the floor, and the things the other person was holding too.

I grab onto my rib, feeling a numbing pain, one the still hasn't gone away, even after three months after the injury.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry," my voice trembles as if I was holding in a sob. "I-i wasn't looking where I was going-" I continue, as I see the persons things, more specifically, a notebook and a pen getting soaked in the rain.

"It's, uh, fine." they say, as I hurry to pick up my stuff, and then theirs.

As I look up, to see the person, who's belongings I just ruined, I'm surprised to see a young face, a guy, who couldn't be more than a couple years older, looking back at me.

The surprised look on his face, makes me look down quickly, realizing I completely forgot about my scar.

Him being my age only makes it that much more embarrassing for me. For some reason young people judge the most. And I if there is something I hate, it's being judged.

"I gotta go." I say mortified and shove his thing into his hands.

Before he could say another word I was gone.

____

"I'm back." I shout trough the house, when I open the door. Grandma comes out the kitchen, a small smile appearing on her face when she sees me. She comes and gives me a hug - which still surprises me every time. Any other time someone would come at me with arms open it would be to attack me. She says a quick thank you, for getting her what she needed, and kisses my cheek.

She hurries to the kitchen to continue with her cooking,

"Why are half of the eggs broken?" she notices and I smile a half smile.

"I tripped over." I lie. "I'm sorry." I apologize.

"Oh, it's fine honey, are you okay though, did you hit anything? Is your rib fine?" she questions coming closer to me.

"Yes, yes, I'm fine, I think I'm just gonna go lay down until lunch, okay?" I say, stepping towards the stairs.

"Okay honey, you rest, I'll come get you when lunch is ready."

"Thanks grandma, love you."

"Love you too, sweetie."

I travel upstairs to take a nap.

---

Pretty eventful huh?