Six

Emma

Today, Ethan came to my mind.

I haven't seen him in a couple days, and I couldn't help but feel guilty, about what I said last time we saw each other.

I wanted to apologize for my fucked up self, but I doubt I'll ever see him again, to be able to do that.

He didn't deserve me being so mean to him.

Melanie is coming over again in a couple minutes. That day she was first here, we spent the rest of the evening together. She is a really bright and smart individual who seems to enjoy cutting hair off her Barbie dolls a little too much.

I pull on a pair of regular skinny jeans, with rips on the knees, and a white oversized sweatshirt. I pull on some fuzzy socks and travel downstairs to wait for Melanie to arrive.

The doorbell rings on a couple minutes later and I stay in the living room, knowing it's probably better if grandma gets the door.

"Where is Emma?" An excited seven-year-old voice says, as soon as she steps inside.

"Oh, she's in the living room, sweetie." Grandma says, and five second later I'm pounced on by a small girl in ponytails situated even higher on her head then the ones from last time.

"Hi!" I laugh and hug her back. "How are you?" I ask her, smiling down at her.

"I'm great. Oh, Emma, meet my brother." she says pointing to the door.

I turn my head, and the smile is literally wiped off my face. I swear it was as if time stopped.

I was beyond surprised to see Ethan standing in my living room with my grandmother.

"This is-"

"Ethan." I finish for Melanie and my grandma furrows her eye brows.

"Emma?" he says, just as confused and me and my grandma.

"You guys know each other?" Melanie butts in.

"Kind of." I reply. "Can I talk to you?" I ask him. I figured it's now or never to apologize for my behavior at the diner a couple days ago.

"Yeah, sure." he says, eyebrows still furrowed.

I get up from the couch, Melanie pouting, but smiling once again when grandma sits down next to her and starts talking to her.

"Look, I just wanted to apologize for being mean at the diner. I was in a bad mood." I say when we step into the hallway. I look up at him, his arms crossed over his chest, and I can't help but notice how nice and toned his arms look. He's wearing a regular white muscle shirt and some ripped blue jeans.

I can't help but wonder if I'll ever be able to wear a shirt with short sleeves ever again. I can barely look at myself in the mirror, left alone have other people see me.

Probably never.

"Oh, it's fine." he assures me. "I mean, I did kind of invade your privacy." he adds.

"I guess." I chuckle. "But I guess it was nice having company for once in a while." I say.

He smiles and uncrosses his arms, reaching into his pocket and checking his
phone.

"I didn't know Melanie had a brother." I say, randomly, only now realizing how big of a coincidence this is.

"Two actually, I'm a twin. And a bigger sister, too." he replies, with a light chuckle.

I like his laugh.

"She didn't really need babysitting today, she just wanted to hang out with you." he says and smiles, showing light dimples in his cheeks.

"Really? Doesn't she have any friends her age?" I don't want to sound rude, but in her place I wouldn't want to hang out with me.

"Not really. Melanie would never admit it, but people at school tease her about her pony tails and so she doesn't like hanging out with none if them." he sighs. I can see he's concerned about his sister and I can't help but smile.

"Emma, honey, my friend Martha from my book club just called for an urgent meeting, could you please look after Melanie in the meanwhile? I'll be back in a sec." Grandma walks into the kitchen, stuffing keys and her phone into her bag.

"Uh, yeah sure." I nod, and she kisses my cheek in a rush.

"I can keep you company if you want." Ethan chimes in, looking at my grandma for permission, too.

"Would you, dear?" she smiles. "You are so sweet." she says, stopping before leaving the kitchen. "And very handsome also. You two would make such a cute couple." she points at us making me widen my eyes and Ethan's face to go red.

"OK, thanks grandma, byeee." I usher her out and after that she is gone.

Ethan and I just look at each other before bursting out into laughter.

"Guys, can we watch cartoons?"