Thirteen

Emma

"Emma, I'm home!" Grandma says, walking in. I glance into the hallway from the living room where I'm sitting with a plate of chicken perm on my lap, watching Adventure Time.

"Hi, I'm in here." I say back, as walks towards the kitchen to see if I'm in there. She turns around smiling and walking over.

"I just ran into your friend at the store, and had a rather interesting conversation." she wiggles her eyebrows, sitting down next to me.

"Friend?" I say confused.

"Ethan!" she exclaims, as if it was obvious. "Anyway, he told me you didn't want to go to dinner with him." she pouts and I sigh looking back to the TV, after putting a spoonful of chicken perm into my mouth.

"You can't keep pushing him away, honey." she puts one of her hands on my hand, lovingly. "The boy clearly likes you. At least give him a chance." she suggests and I look at her.

"I can't go out with him, grandma. Look at me! I'd be mortified to step even a foot into a fancy restaurant with this ugly thing on my face." I admit and she gives me a sympathetic look.

"It's not ugly. Stop saying that! This," she touches my scar "Is your battle scar. This shows how much you have been trough and how strong you are. You have been trough enough bad things in life, baby girl, please let this one good thing in and give the boy a chance. He's good for you." she says before caressing my cheek, giving me a kiss on the forehead and getting up, leaving.

I stare aimlessly forward, confused. She's completely right. At one point I'm going to have to except me and my scar and I'm going to have to face public. I can't just blow off Ethan completely.

I'd never admit it out loud but I actually enjoy his company. More than I should.

I take a deep breath before I put down my plate on the coffee table before me and take my phone in my hands.

I feel myself getting nervous as my fingers type across the screen and press 'send'.

You still up for dinner?

----

"Do you have a dress I could borrow?" I walk into grandma's bedroom. She looks up at me trough her glasses, before smiling and putting down the book she was reading. She gets up from her comfortable position on the bed and walks over to the closet door.

"Working as a clothing designer for twenty years has it's perks you know." she says, opening the doors revealing a closet full of clothes. She points me over to a rack filled with expensive looking dresses, put inside zip-lock bags to be protected from time.

"Wow, that's a lot to choose from." I say and skim trough the dresses.

"Most of them are kind of out-dated, but I think this one should work the best." she says pulling out a dress. "As Coco said, you can never go wrong with a little black dress." she smiles and I smile as she unzips the zip-lock bag and reveals a simple long-sleeved black dress with a deep v-neck.

"Thank you grandma." I thank her and she smiles.

"You're welcome. Now put it on! I want to see." she says excited, before walking out the closet letting me chance.

I make sure to close the doors before taking off my jeans and sweatshirt and putting on the dress. The material was soft and stretchy and it fit my figure well.

It seemed to be a perfect fit, covering up all of my scars. Except the one on my face.

"Come out already." Grandma chuckles and I walk to the closet door.

"Ready?" I say trough.

"I've been ready for the past ten minutes." she says and I walk out. She gasps as I walk over to her mirror and look at myself.

"You look very beautiful, Emma." she says her eyes glossy as she comes closer to me and looks over my shoulder at me. "You look just like your mom." she says letting a
tear slip.

Now I'm gonna cry too.

I really do look like mom.

"I miss her so much." I say, my voice shaky, turning to grandma.

"I know, honey, I know." she hugs me and more of our tears fall down our cheeks. "She would be very proud of you." she says once we pull apart and I smile weakly.

"Well, you should go get ready. Your date's gonna be here in an hour." she says, sniffing and wiping her tears away, before giving me an encouraging smile.

"Thank you, grandma. For everything." I say, before walking to my room.

I quickly took a shower in my bathroom, washing my hair twice and blow drying it.

I decided to apply some make up, but struggled to put anything on, being so long since the last time I wore it. I did a simple eye look that made my eyes darker and mysterious, put some concealer on for coverage, and put on some bronzer and highlighter to make my pale like face look more alive. Lastly I put some cherry lip balm on and I was done.

I brushed my hair and decided I didn't have enough time to do anything more a simple braid on the front side to keep my frizzy hair from falling onto my face.

My phone buzzed on the drawer I put it on as I was putting up my shoes, a pair of regular black high heels, and I rushed over to see what it was.

A text from Ethan.

Ready?

I take a quick glance at myself in the mirror and think. This is the moment I face the public. This is the moment I face my fears and go outside.

But am I ready for it?

I nervously  type back.

Ready.

----

sorry it took so long to update but im on vacation so im struggling to find good wifi haha im sorry ill try to post as much as i can