Fourteen

I tried to make this one extra long 😊✌🏼👌🏼

----

Emma

We've been driving for more than fifteen minutes and it lead me to wonder where we're even going.

He said the restaurant was down the street, but we're way past there now.

"Where are we going?" I say, curiously.

"I saw how uncomfortable you were at the thought of going to a public restaurant, so I decided to make us a private dinner where you would be more comfortable." he explains and smiles at me for a quick second before looking back to the road.

"Oh, you didn't have to." I object.

"No, I had to. You would just feel uncomfortable for the whole night and I want to take you somewhere nice." He insists.

"Oh." I mumble.

I can't help but feel relieved. It's like a big rock rolled off my back. I thought I was ready to face the public. I thought I was ready to face the people and their stares, their judgmental looks.

I guess not.

"Well then thank you." I say to Ethan and he smiles, one of his hands landing on my knee. His finger rubs the inside of my knee comfortably and I can't help but smile.

I'm only now realizing how scared I actually was. I wasn't ready to face the public. What was I thinking? I'm not strong or brave. I'm a coward and a fool to think I was ready.

A big sigh escapes my lips and I look out the window.

"You okay?" Ethan notices my distress and I look at him.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just got some stuff on my mind."

He nods and looks back at the road, the hand on my knee reaching into his pocket and pulling out a penny. He hands it to me and I furrow my eyebrows taking it.

"What's this for?" I look at the penny confused.

"It costs a penny for your thoughts." he says and I finally catch on, chuckling.

"It's nothing, a bunch of meaningless stuff." I say, looking back out the window as trees pass us by.

"They're not meaningless to me." he says and I look back at him, takin back. I still can't see why this boy is so nice to me. It's almost unimaginable to me. To have such a friend as Ethan. Someone who cares about me, even when I don't care about myself.

"It's just.." I hesitate. "I thought I was ready to face the public, like this." I smile. "You know, with my hood off."

"Thought?"

"When you said we weren't going to the restaurant I felt relieved. It was like a giant weight rolled off my shoulders. I guess I wasn't really ready at all." I explain.

"It doesn't matter, Emma. When you'll be ready, you'll be ready. And when you are, I will be there. Okay?" His hand lands back on my knee, warm and rubbing circles into my thigh.

I smile and put my hand on his, squeezing it in appreciation.

"Thank you."